My Quail Pens

SliderShooter

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Rice Country, CA
Here are pics of my pens. The first is the outside of the main pen and two shots inside. The last one is of the cage in the shed. This is where they go until full grown then it's off to the main breeding pen.

QuailPens004.jpg

QuailPens006.jpg

QuailPens009.jpg

QuailPens007.jpg

Hi,

My quail are hatching! I have the brooder all ready and have the frame for a 3-tier cage but wondering what size hardware cloth to use around the sides...

In order for them to stick their heads out and eat like yours are, should I provide cages with different sizes of hardware cloth for different ages?

They're a mix of standard coturnix and TAM.

Thanks!

I don't put the quail in the cages in the photos until they are 4 weeks old. When they hatch, I put the chicks in a cardboard box brooder with alfalfa on the floor for the first week, then into the brooder. The alfalfa helps the chicks build strong legs before they go on the wire. The brooder has 1/2 in. square wire cloth floor and the feed and water is provided inside the brooder with standard chick feeders and water jugs.

At 4 weeks they go in the big cages where the floor is 1/2 X 1 in. the front and back are 1 in. wide by 2 in. high welded wire. The floor has a slope so the eggs roll out under the feed trough. Just make sure you get the floor right side up with wire running the right way so the eggs roll toward the front of the cage.

GQF makes a great breeder/grow pen but it isn't cheap. You can buy the wire and make your own for a lot less money. You can use their design as a guide.
GQF.jpg

Last edited:
I would use 1x1 or 1x2 welded wire if you want them to put their heads through and 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the floor, and 1/2 x1" welded wire for the sides

Last edited:
Quote:
Shade. It can get hot in pen with the metal roof when the sun beats down on it. Easy to remove when the weather cools.

rittert3 is correct, the 1x2 welded wire is used for the front and back of the pen and not the sides. I didn't make that very clear, sorry. Using sheet metal or 1x1/2 welded wire on the sides is correct. You don't need your birds sticking their heads in the neighbor's space. I went with the 1x1/2 welded wire on the sides for air flow in the summer when I run a fan. If you want the eggs to roll out under the feed trough on the front you should use the 1x1/2 welded wire floor. I use the 1/2x1/2 wire cloth floor in the brooder box.

Back
Top Bottom