My quail still aren't laying eggs

First egg!!! They're 10 to 12 weeks now so I guess they're just late bloomers

Congratulations! That's great!

I started putting an LED solar light next to my pen at night and my males have started crowing again.

My Texas A&M's are just 11 weeks old and my standard browns are just 10 weeks old, so hopefully I'll be getting some eggs soon.

I've also found a permanent spot for my pen in a nice "wooded" area with lots of foliage so the birds can feel safe. I'm going to stop moving the pen I have, and build another portable run. After I get some eggs I'm going to try moving half of the birds to fresh grass and the other half will remain in the permanent pen. It's an experiment to see if moving them daily causes a decrease in egg production. If moving them causes them to stop laying, then I plan to keep my meat birds in the portable pen and my egg layers in the stationary one.

Congratulations! That's great!

I started putting an LED solar light next to my pen at night and my males have started crowing again.

My Texas A&M's are just 11 weeks old and my standard browns are just 10 weeks old, so hopefully I'll be getting some eggs soon.

I've also found a permanent spot for my pen in a nice "wooded" area with lots of foliage so the birds can feel safe. I'm going to stop moving the pen I have, and build another portable run. After I get some eggs I'm going to try moving half of the birds to fresh grass and the other half will remain in the permanent pen. It's an experiment to see if moving them daily causes a decrease in egg production. If moving them causes them to stop laying, then I plan to keep my meat birds in the portable pen and my egg layers in the stationary one.
i move my pen every 2 day with no depletion on eggs.
thumbsup.gif

i move my pen every 2 day with no depletion on eggs.
thumbsup.gif
That's good to know. I would much prefer to have a portable pen, after all I did build one!

I think it may be a daylight issue since my roosters were crowing when I had them in the greenhouse with a heatlamp during the night. Then they completely stopped crowing when I moved them outside with no light. Only two nights in a row of the LED solar light and my roosters are crowing again. They're crowing like crazy today! Maybe eggs will be coming soon?

*UPDATE* I definitely think the daylight hours have impacted my birds. I left an extra light on for them last night and we've got a regular crowing contest going on out there this morning and the sun isn't even up yet!
fl.gif
for eggs...

Last edited:
Good news on the eggs! It might be just because they've been getting natural light that it took relatively long for them to lay, but once they start, they're pretty productive!!

I got my first egg today! I had a feeling it would be any day now.
I have been leaving a light on at night for them, I put them on a higher protein feed. They get meal worm suet cakes and oyster shell calcium. I also don't move their pen anymore, but I may try moving them once we get a steady flow of eggs and see if we have an interruption in production.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom