My RIR Hen Went Psycho and Attacked Me. Looking for Input.

Thanks Smarsh, that was actually my instantaneous thought when the first attack happened, before I started going through all the other scenarios. It's like the bullied kid who goes on to bully a smaller kid.

Even though she is leaving my husband and house-sitter alone, it still fits assuming she sees me as part of the flock (and not them.)

Update:

This hen has started molting. Which is a little odd because she molted about 7 months ago.

Could stress cause a premature molt, and could the molt cause the aggression?

Is there anything I should do for her besides the usual molt things: e.g. extra protein?

Thanks!

extra protin,get some floating pond catfish food and put it in a blender,grind it up fine,it contains 32% protin

Are you sure she is molting? Could she be plucking her own feathers out? Do you see any bear spots? They pluck under stress. I think she just needs a few days to chill out. Slowly regain her trust. Meaning don't just come at her. In fact ignore her.

Definitely molting. The feathers fall off as she walks around and coop is covered in her feathers. Looks just like she did when she last molted.

Also, today she suddenly started behaving more normally again. She's more trusting and eating out of my hand again.

She's doing much better, thank you for asking, amandawv!

She is still wary of me, and will eat out of my hand about 50% of the time I offer. She won't really let me approach her, but she's not doing that aggressive stance anymore and hasn't pecked at me at all for the last six days. She's still dropping feathers, so I'm wondering if her behavior was molt-induced or if whatever stressed her forced her into a premature molt.

She was REALLY happy to get some sardines yesterday.
tongue.png

She's doing much better, thank you for asking, amandawv!

She is still wary of me, and will eat out of my hand about 50% of the time I offer. She won't really let me approach her, but she's not doing that aggressive stance anymore and hasn't pecked at me at all for the last six days. She's still dropping feathers, so I'm wondering if her behavior was molt-induced or if whatever stressed her forced her into a premature molt. 

She was REALLY happy to get some sardines yesterday. :p

That sounds promising. Sounds like she's coming around. You know how is females can get. Lol. Sardines? I bet my crew would love them! Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom