My rooster's comb looks strange

Jul 8, 2023
My rooster came to me with scars from a dog attack. One of those scars is an off to one side comb. But I've noticed lately that it looks lighter in color and I would describe it as dry skin. Is this a sign of illness? He isn't acting any different than usual. I'm just worried because of the heat. I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid. This is my first time raising chickens. The in the coop picture is from before things got hot.

Attachments

• 20230717_093841.jpg
    20230717_093841.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230717_094207.jpg
    20230717_094207.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230717_094212.jpg
    20230717_094212.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230610_085918.jpg
    20230610_085918.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
It looks a little dry and pale, which can be a sign of sickness or weakness. (Happens to broody hens hatching chicks) it doesn't look terrible to me tho. I would get a small bottle of VetRx from tractor supply and pour some on his head. It's oily and smells kinda like Vicks. You can get it all over his head, comb, and he can even swallow a little. That's usually what I do to my chickens of their combs look like that and it seems to help. The oil also seems to moisturize. If he's acting weak you could add a little Rooster Booster B-12 to his water for an extra kick. Screenshot_20230717-151753.png

My rooster came to me with scars from a dog attack. One of those scars is an off to one side comb. But I've noticed lately that it looks lighter in color and I would describe it as dry skin. Is this a sign of illness? He isn't acting any different than usual. I'm just worried because of the heat. I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid. This is my first time raising chickens. The in the coop picture is from before things got hot.
To make sure I wasn't making something out of nothing, I sent the pictures to the woman who gifted me with him. She send me back a picture of his father. It looks like it is a genetic thing with him, including the flopped over one eye issue. Who knew!

Attachments

• Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 3
It looks a little dry and pale, which can be a sign of sickness or weakness. (Happens to broody hens hatching chicks) it doesn't look terrible to me tho. I would get a small bottle of VetRx from tractor supply and pour some on his head. It's oily and smells kinda like Vicks. You can get it all over his head, comb, and he can even swallow a little. That's usually what I do to my chickens of their combs look like that and it seems to help. The oil also seems to moisturize. If he's acting weak you could add a little Rooster Booster B-12 to his water for an extra kick. View attachment 3580032
I may try this because it looks dry to me. Even though I just learned that it is probably genetic, as his dad has the same kind of comb. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom