My Spring Breeding Project

Chookies123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
The days are getting cooler and shorter and I am very excited for spring. I am going to share with you my spring breeding plan. First I need to buy some silkie hens for their broodiness as my light Sussex hens and Silver laced wyandottes are not very broody. When I get a broody I will put some of my fertile ISA brown eggs underneath her. With the chicks I will get a bigger breeding flock then sell all of the other ones to earn some money. I also breed australorps, anconas and plymouth rocks which I will also breed them this spring. I hope this inspires some of you to breed chickens.

The days are getting cooler and shorter and I am very excited for spring. I am going to share with you my spring breeding plan. First I need to buy some silkie hens for their broodiness as my light Sussex hens and Silver laced wyandottes are not very broody. When I get a broody I will put some of my fertile ISA brown eggs underneath her. With the chicks I will get a bigger breeding flock then sell all of the other ones to earn some money. I also breed australorps, anconas and plymouth rocks which I will also breed them this spring. I hope this inspires some of you to breed chickens.
That sounds like a good plan!

I may be wrong, so don't go 100% but your ISA eggs are from hybrids aren't they? So you won't get a uniform bird right off. You will get a mixed batch. Unless you bought/purchased hatching eggs from some other source. If your looking to be able to sell sexed chicks you easiest route that I see is to cross your BA over BPR. If you want to keep everything pure that won't work, but ISA are not a pure bird anyway.

And for the inspiration for others, good to see other people trying get more people interested in backyard breeding programs. I love breeding and hatching as a hobby and have 20+ pullets I hatched last year in my flock. Some I didn't even realize until a few days ago. SLW with single comb, and another with BA colored feathers. The fit right in and I had 6 SLW last year so I though it was them. But I guess they were hatch last fall and I have been taking them for pure pullets I had bought. They lay eggs so they stay. Oddly enough I thought rose comb was dominate to single but not 100% I guess.

For breeds I have pure RIR (Some PR also) BO, BA, WLH, SLW and BPR for pure genetics. And Rouen and Pekin ducks. I do let them breed/hatch crosses (Chickens at least) and I do pen some for my specific wants. I gained an Iowa Blue rooster this year with my RIR and WLH pullets. All my adult roosters except 1 are BYM. Mostly male sex links. My pure roosters are still in brooding stage since They were hatched Easter week. So for now my pures I can hatch are BA and also BSL that I can track thru sire at least for now. This fall/late summer will have everything everywhere hatching like mad though...because I can. Good luck on hatching no matter what they are.

Rose comb is 100% dominant over single, but if one parent is single combed and the other parent is split for the rose comb (one rose comb gene and one not-rose comb gene) some of the offspring will be rose and some will be single.

Apparently my SLW chicks last year had some sindle comb genetics some where in their ancestry then. Oh well she still a great bird. Her and her sister are colored slightly off with the lacing but great birds for table eggs.

Yeah, a few years back I got some that were supposed to be pure for extended black but one had birchen hiding under that. It can be hard to get rid of a recessive gene, but unless you are into a serious breeding program, it's not the end of the world. As you said, great birds for the table, eggs or meat.

Yeah I actually purchased them because we wanted 30 or so laying chicks and these rounded out our number. So after these and any of their BYM babies I probably won't be looking to replace anything like these. Just my "normal" DP breeds. And these I can breed from animals I have now.

Back
Top Bottom