My story of finding and building the best heater

Pics

Dim2000

Chirping
Feb 24, 2024
Hello from Canada! My name is Danny, and here is my story: I am Looking to join this community, share ideas and find solutions :). It all begun with a journey to find adequate heater (that would plug in standard 120VAC outlet) for my dog , who loves to stay outside even in cold Canadian winter. I literally went through a voyage, starting with looking in market available heaters (lamps, ceramic, specific dog heaters, etc..), adding additional controls and features, and so on.. My journey took me to communicate with farmers and hobby farmers and chicken owners - I wondered: "how all these people keep their animals warm enough, especially in backyards and farms". I started to meet with very interesting people and hearing them out, gaining my interest not only in dogs wellbeing, but in other animals. I got involved in the farmer's community and started to think seriously about my own keep. Further I digged, I undesrtaood there was a serious problem: with all the great technology out there - the niche of safe and monitored heaters for animals was overlooked, mainly because (from my research) of safety and fire risks, lack of temperature monitoring and control. I understood that this was not just my problem, but entire communities of hobby farmers and dog owners talked about it. I was not ready to start my own hobby farming and even keep my dog safely warmed. Being an engineer and inventor I decided to design my own IDEAL Heater. I have done a lot of work so far, however being practically new in raising animals I need your advice" - if you had an opportunity to get the ideal heater - what features would you include? What features would be extremely important for you, and which features would be less important? I am planning to create a focus group on this discussion, and come up with the best Canadian product for our community, shaped by your vision! I would very much appreciate your advice and whoever might be interested in participation of such a focus group discussion, please let me know, since I am planning to set couple of sessions to discuss the subject very soon, so stay tuned and let me know your thoughts!

Hello from Canada! My name is Danny, and here is my story: I am Looking to join this community, share ideas and find solutions :). It all begun with a journey to find adequate heater (that would plug in standard 120VAC outlet) for my dog , who loves to stay outside even in cold Canadian winter. I literally went through a voyage, starting with looking in market available heaters (lamps, ceramic, specific dog heaters, etc..), adding additional controls and features, and so on.. My journey took me to communicate with farmers and hobby farmers and chicken owners - I wondered: "how all these people keep their animals warm enough, especially in backyards and farms". I started to meet with very interesting people and hearing them out, gaining my interest not only in dogs wellbeing, but in other animals. I got involved in the farmer's community and started to think seriously about my own keep. Further I digged, I undesrtaood there was a serious problem: with all the great technology out there - the niche of safe and monitored heaters for animals was overlooked, mainly because (from my research) of safety and fire risks, lack of temperature monitoring and control. I understood that this was not just my problem, but entire communities of hobby farmers and dog owners talked about it. I was not ready to start my own hobby farming and even keep my dog safely warmed. Being an engineer and inventor I decided to design my own IDEAL Heater. I have done a lot of work so far, however being practically new in raising animals I need your advice" - if you had an opportunity to get the ideal heater - what features would you include? What features would be extremely important for you, and which features would be less important? I am planning to create a focus group on this discussion, and come up with the best Canadian product for our community, shaped by your vision! I would very much appreciate your advice and whoever might be interested in participation of such a focus group discussion, please let me know, since I am planning to set couple of sessions to discuss the subject very soon, so stay tuned and let me know your thoughts!
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We heat our coop to 35-40F with a thin, oil-filled heater by NewAir. It has the capability to heat it way higher, but we don't. Features it has that I like, for chickens, would be the same for dogs.

Oil filled, so no hot coils.
Thermostatically controlled.
Safe if it tips over. (Ours can't tip over.)
Legs so it can be placed on a shelf and secured.
Totally sealed/encased so no dust/dander can get inside.

Cons: It is too hot to the touch for a chicken or a dog so has to be placed and secured out of reach for them.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

We can see temps at zero and sometimes a bit below zero in January. I don't heat my coop, but I do use heat on old birds or sick birds. I use either or both a 150 watt panel heater or the standard infra red heat lamp. Sometimes in certain situations, heat should be used. Best wishes with your flock!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We heat our coop to 35-40F with a thin, oil-filled heater by NewAir. It has the capability to heat it way higher, but we don't. Features it has that I like, for chickens, would be the same for dogs.

Oil filled, so no hot coils.
Thermostatically controlled.
Safe if it tips over. (Ours can't tip over.)
Legs so it can be placed on a shelf and secured.
Totally sealed/encased so no dust/dander can get inside.

Cons: It is too hot to the touch for a chicken or a dog so has to be placed and secured out of reach for them.
Thanks Debbie292d :D! There could be a heater that not too hot to touch, and can be controlled by App (including temperature settings, which can hold also colder range of temperatures and other dream features. Would you be interested to participate in a focus group discussion about its features?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

We can see temps at zero and sometimes a bit below zero in January. I don't heat my coop, but I do use heat on old birds or sick birds. I use either or both a 150 watt panel heater or the standard infra red heat lamp. Sometimes in certain situations, heat should be used. Best wishes with your flock!
Thank you:D!

Thanks Debbie292d :D! There could be a heater that not too hot to touch, and can be controlled by App (including temperature settings, which can hold also colder range of temperatures and other dream features. Would you be interested to participate in a focus group discussion about its features?
Oh, I thought I did give my opinion of what features I wanted in one but if there's a group you made or are a part of one, that is peaceful about heating coops and doghouses :oops: and you'd want my opinions, pros, cons, etc. I wouldn't mind a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom