My sultan bantam needs a friend

skernkle

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2024
Hi! About four years ago, I ordered a small group of bantam chicks. In this group I got a sultan, a black frizzle Cochin, and a few clean leg breeds for eggs. This was my first time getting bantams, and I got the sultan and Cochin because I’d previously only kept chickens for eggs, and these two looked so interesting. From the moment I got them the sultan and cochin stuck together. Over the next few years they did everything together and tended to stay away from my other girls, they would always cruise around the yard in a pair, sleep together, etc. Unfortunately, I lost all of my bantams except for them to raccoons and a relative’s dog :( I got some regular sized chickens to replace them, and my two remaining bantam girls still stuck together. Until my Cochin passed away from unknown causes a few months ago. Since then my sultan has been even more of a loner, and I know it’s silly but I want to get her a friend. So far I’m thinking of either another sultan, a new Cochin, or a silkie? Or should I just let her be?

I know it’s silly but I want to get her a friend. So far I’m thinking of either another sultan, a new Cochin, or a silkie? Or should I just let her be?
It's not silly, chickens need other chickens. They are very social animals and can live healthy alone, it's not good for their mental health. Just like other poultry, they need at least one other of their species. notice how I didn't say breed, They just need someone who speaks their own language. ducks need ducks, turkeys need turkeys, chickens need chickens.

Back
Top Bottom