• Tie her up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pet her

• Punish her every time she’s bad

• Total voters
Sep 22, 2019
My sweetest hens name is autumn she’s an Easter egger she has never pecked any of her siblings ever one day a dog chased them around they were fine but two days later a red tailled hawk attacked and attumn was pinned but we scared off the hawk by hitting it with sticks and rocks. She didn’t lay eggs for a whole month she was jumpy, noisy, and loud. I wouldn’t blame her she oh most died. She is my biggest hen she then started pecking the baby chicks she use to love watching when she took dirt baths or layed down. Then when I noticed she was pecking her siblings over food I knew she changed because she never pecked any of her siblings ever never even pecked any chicken ever. She the biggest hen but she’s gentle and sweet. Now she is out of it pecking her siblings and chicks, charging them, being loud, attacking things, and being jumpier than ever. What should I do? I raised her from a one week old chick. How can I fix this so she ain’t aggressive any more? What should I do to get my precious Attumn back?

If it was me I would probably isolate her but pay tons of attention to her while she’s isolated. Talk to her softly explain to her that her behavior is unacceptable. Handle her a lot so she becomes comfortable again. I would only do this for like 3 days and reintroduce her and see if she acts any different. But this advice is not from a professional nor is it from someone with experience with this sort of thing. That’s just personally what I would do.

If it was me I would probably isolate her but pay tons of attention to her while she’s isolated. Talk to her softly explain to her that her behavior is unacceptable. Handle her a lot so she becomes comfortable again. I would only do this for like 3 days and reintroduce her and see if she acts any different. But this advice is not from a professional nor is it from someone with experience with this sort of thing. That’s just personally what I would do.
Ok thank for responding to I’ll try isolating her at least 5 minutes a day and comforting her and talking to her softly

Isolation means removed from the rest and stays there for some duration like 3 days to a week (not 5 minutes a day). This resets the pecking order. She may be highest in pecking order or trying to get there, hence her actions. You can’t change the fact she experienced a predator attack, but moving forward you Can try to reset her actions.

have more than one feeder and waterer. A bully can keep others from eating or drinking When there is only one location.

baby chicks get bigger and become “threats” to the existing flock, and will be bullied/pecked or put into their place. They ARE lower in the pecking order, even without a bully. Provide them a safe place to get away from the flock if needed. We raise up a portable fence on blocks, with lower openings big enough for the chicks to get under, but not the grown birds. We currently have 7 week old chicks and they are integrating right now. Some of the older chickens take it upon themselves to chase and peck the chicks. The chicks run to their safe space or to the group of chicks hanging out in one corner or the other of the run.

Ok thank for responding to I’ll try isolating her at least 5 minutes a day and comforting her and talking to her softly

I misread your comment. Thought you said you would isolated her for 5 days. As Acre4Me said, 5 mins per day won’t do much to change her. But do keep us updated so when people stumble upon this thread in the future they can read the resolution not just the problem.

I misread your comment. Thought you said you would isolated her for 5 days. As Acre4Me said, 5 mins per day won’t do much to change her. But do keep us updated so when people stumble upon this thread in the future they can read the resolution not just the problem.
She seems to be doing better and better each day and she seems not as vicious

Back
Top Bottom