my teenage/young duck went missing while with other ducks. could something have got it?

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
i had a mink attack a week ago. i didn’t kill anything thankfully but i knew it would be back so i’ve done everything i possibly can to protect them. today, my baby/teenage ducks were playing. i came out side to put them to bed and one was missing ? all of the others were content, not injured, and the windows are all open so i could hear them while i was getting some stuff. i heard absolutely nothing, and my chickens were out as well at this time. from what i’ve read and heard a mink will leave the body, or kill all of the animals. we don’t have hawks. what could have gotten it? or could she have left? i’ve looked everywhere. i feel like shit.

UPDATE: i found her!! she’s unharmed and seems just fine. i guess i freak out too quickly about them lol just a paranoid farmer!

Last edited:
how can you not have hawks they fly everywhere its likely one will come by eventually so be aware <3
hawks are one of the rarest species on my island! the weather is not made for them here :) we unfortunately still have things like mink and once in a while coyotes so there definitely is predators around, but hawks are not one of them :)

What about owls?
i’ve only ever seen one owl here in my life, never had a problem with them and haven’t heard people having problems… our weather is very weird and it’s uncommon for most basic predators to live here (mink don’t even originate here, there’s a mink farm that got shut down a couple miles away and they escape and look for food) we don’t have a lot of animals that most places do, it’s handy but our mink problem around here is terrible from the farm :(

i’ve only ever seen one owl here in my life, never had a problem with them and haven’t heard people having problems… our weather is very weird and it’s uncommon for most basic predators to live here (mink don’t even originate here, there’s a mink farm that got shut down a couple miles away and they escape and look for food) we don’t have a lot of animals that most places do, it’s handy but our mink problem around here is terrible from the farm :(
I think that if it rains a lot at night, owls have a tough go of it because their feathers don't shed water.
I live in a coniferous rain forest, but the owls really flourish here.
One got a turkey the other night. I have been crafting air raid deterrents ever since.
So far so good. 😅

I think that if it rains a lot at night, owls have a tough go of it because their feathers don't shed water.
I live in a coniferous rain forest, but the owls really flourish here.
One got a turkey the other night. I have been crafting air raid deterrents ever since.
So far so good. 😅
oh no! sorry about your turkey, it really is a loss when our birds die, no matter the cause.
homesteading would be a lot funner and care free if predators didn’t exist that’s for sure 😂

how can you not have hawks they fly everywhere its likely one will come by eventually so be aware <3
I had red tails coming around when the ducks were small, but they've gone away.
Ravens are interested in the polts, so I would expect the hawks to come back, except ravens and crows keep hawks and eagles away.
Using strobes and solar motion floodlights and spotlights to keep the owls away.
Feral cat was spotted by the wife tonight; he doesn't care for TJ's canned salmon cat food, so let's see if he can resist raw hamburger.

Back
Top Bottom