My vermin proof feed setup I made. (Pictures)

Rockyriver

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
N.C.
Here is a metal garbage can holder I made to keep the pest out of my chicken food.
Each container holds about 200LBS of food.
The first has scratch in it and the second has laying pellets. The legs of the holder are 16 inches in the ground for extra safety. A metal chain or cable is next to hold the lids down, just as soon as I can figure a way to do it neat.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. We just reinforced the box/building where we keep our feed & scratch, with some thin sheet metal. SQUIRRELS have torn it up! They chewed through the door (after we blocked a vent hole they enlarged, with a prior piece of sheet metal) and chewed holes in the covers of the plastic buckets where we actually store the food. Two mornings in a row, a squirrel jumped
ep.gif
out of the scratch bucket!

I hope that's the end of it, but I've been pricing metal pails and trash cans online, with the idea that I'll need to find another storage solution later.

I was thinking of attaching two bungee cords to both side handles, twisting them around the handle of the cover. Of course, bungee cords are chew-able, so I actually thought about those wire-like bicycle lock cables. Then, I see you are planning to use chain (or a cable similar to my idea) and you already have the eye-hooks (if that's the right term) I also thought about. It's almost surreal to see "my" ideas already thought out and implemented!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom