My white leghorn is laying brown eggs????

Thank you, Michael- The earlobes are most definitely red, not white. I will see if I can catch a DeeDum in a nest box...that would settle that, for sure!

This is a pic of my Chick Pea! I got her from a friend when she was a baby along with another one like her and a duck (all about the same age)! He had bought them and decided he didn't want em which is how my flock began! He didn't know what gender or breed they were! I know shes a hen now and im thinking she might be a white rock too since she looks just like JocelynMc25's...am I right? She just started laying eggs and hers r brown eggs too!

Last edited:

This is a pic of my Chick Pea! I got her from a friend when she was a baby along with another one like her and a duck (all about the same age)! He had bought them and decided he didn't want em which is how my flock began! He didn't know what gender or breed they were! I know shes a hen now and im thinking she might be a white rock too since she looks just like JocelynMc25's...am I right? She just started laying eggs and hers r brown eggs too!

This is a pic of one of her eggs (the biggest of the 5 eggs shes laid so far)!

That's not a White Rock, that's a Cornish White Rock Cross hen...a meat bird. More commonly written as "CX". Has WR genes back in her breeding but most decidedly NOT a WR.

Meat birds usually have to be "processed," very early . They have such explosive growth weight wise that their legs give out and their organs as well. Most don't live long enough to lay eggs.

Meat birds usually have to be "processed," very early . They have such explosive growth weight wise that their legs give out and their organs as well. Most don't live long enough to lay eggs.

Tell that to the many here on BYC that are eating eggs laid by meaty hens.
gig.gif
Aoxa would be mighty surprised to find she should have processed those hens she bred to her Barred Rock male and is currently raising their offspring. I've known of people getting their CX hens to the age of 3 before they died of health issues.

The offspring of her CX....

Last edited:

Tell that to the many here on BYC that are eating eggs laid by meaty hens.
gig.gif
Aoxa would be mighty surprised to find she should have processed those hens she bred to her Barred Rock male and is currently raising their offspring. I've known of people getting their CX hens to the age of 3 before they died of health issues.
There's truth in both of these statements. Because of their fantastic growth rates, Cornish cross are typically ready for butchering at about 8 weeks. If left unbutchered, they usually begin suffering severe health problems at a very early age due to their abnormal growth rates. However, sometimes these health issues can be delayed for a while with a restricted diet (don't leave food out for them all the time) and a situation where they are forced to get some exercise (such as some free ranging) for their food. Even with that, 3 years is very old for a Cornish cross to live. In 50 years of raising chickens, I've never personally known of one to reach its 2nd birthday.

There's truth in both of these statements. Because of their fantastic growth rates, Cornish cross are typically ready for butchering at about 8 weeks. If left unbutchered, they usually begin suffering severe health problems at a very early age due to their abnormal growth rates. However, sometimes these health issues can be delayed for a while with a restricted diet (don't leave food out for them all the time) and a situation where they are forced to get some exercise (such as some free ranging) for their food. Even with that, 3 years is very old for a Cornish cross to live. In 50 years of raising chickens, I've never personally known of one to reach its 2nd birthday.

Thanks for all the info everyone! She does free range and gets a great deal of exercise but shes greedy with snacks too and sometimes seems to be too heavy for her legs! She is laying eggs everyday now tho! Shes my favorite chicken cuz she runs to me everytime she sees me outside and she will peck at the front door if i don't come out soon enuf for her! She eats out of my hand and lets me hold her! Her BFF is a female duck who watches over her as if she is her baby! I hope she exceeds the usual life span! Is her weight the reason she doesn't fly? She sleeps on the ground!

Back
Top Bottom