My young hen is dying.

She's the same, sleeping, giving her calcium, sugar water with syringe. Crop is empty. She did have a more normal poo this morning, more solid, but still stinky. The other birds seems normal. I wonder if the Marek took advantage when she was laying. Yes, it was her first time, and she had difficulties and laid 2 in the same morning. Thanks for caring.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by mareks took advantage of her laying.
Give her a mash made from her pellets, maybe some live yogurt and egg yolk, she needs some food. It sounds like she ate something toxic and its being flushed out.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by mareks took advantage of her laying.
Give her a mash made from her pellets, maybe some live yogurt and egg yolk, she needs some food. It sounds like she ate something toxic and its being flushed out.
Sorry about that, I meant that her immune system was down, after straining to get those 2 eggs out for the first time. And I learned that Mareks sticks around your flock, so I thought maybe it's an opportunistic virus like the flu. So I wonder if initially she was laying around because of the inbound eggs, but now she's sick with something else. And yes, I've been giving her yogurt and egg yolks, but she hardly takes any. Do you think it would be bad to give her some with the syringe? She's not eating on her own. And am I prolong her suffering? so hard!

Sorry about that, I meant that her immune system was down, after straining to get those 2 eggs out for the first time. And I learned that Mareks sticks around your flock, so I thought maybe it's an opportunistic virus like the flu. So I wonder if initially she was laying around because of the inbound eggs, but now she's sick with something else. And yes, I've been giving her yogurt and egg yolks, but she hardly takes any. Do you think it would be bad to give her some with the syringe? She's not eating on her own. And am I prolong her suffering? so hard!
You can use a syringe to feed her, yes.
It doesn't sound like mareks to me, just a laying or digestion issue.
Search tube feeding in the search bar.

Time got away from me, but I just wanted to thank everyone for your input and advice. I just wanted to give a follow up report. Day 1-3 I had to syringe feed her. Day 4-5 she started to eat on her own. Day 6-7 started integrating her back into the flock. Day 8 she was back. She started laying eggs again after 2 weeks and doing well now. Thanks again!!!

Time got away from me, but I just wanted to thank everyone for your input and advice. I just wanted to give a follow up report. Day 1-3 I had to syringe feed her. Day 4-5 she started to eat on her own. Day 6-7 started integrating her back into the flock. Day 8 she was back. She started laying eggs again after 2 weeks and doing well now. Thanks again!!!
Thank you for the update! It's so nice to read that a bird gets better. :)

Back
Top Bottom