My young polish rooster is just now acting up.

BrahmaMom1797

Songster
May 18, 2017
My young Polish rooster, he's about 5 months old, is starting to get pretty rude toward my other birds. He acts out against my polish hen, my brahma hens, my little Cochin hen and my sebright hen. He's a sweet, but skittish bird with me, and I really don't want to get rid of him, but if he hurts the girls, we can't keep him. Is this normal for young roosters? I love my boy and my girls, but he's the one I'd have to get rid of if things get too bad.

Attachments

• IMG_5241.JPG
    IMG_5241.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 9
Young roosters usually do get aggressive to hens and pullets at about 5-6 months old, then they begin calming down at 8-9 months. I would get the hens saddles to help, but if that is not working, then you will probably have to separate him until he is older.

Adolescent cockerels can be a pain, as they try 'things' out, especially with pullets. Hens generally smack them and it's good for their egos to be crushed a bit! With plenty of space, and nobody being injured, things will probably work out. If he's actually causing injuries, that's too much and at least, he needs to be confined separately for a while, maybe weeks or a couple of months, and then try him again. Mary

Back
Top Bottom