My

I would say IGNORE her and go ahead and show off your Gypsy Vanner. For riding classes, it does not matter what breed if it is an open class, not a breed class. Go for it!

I don't believe most riding classes make a distinction between light and draft horse at the fair level. Gypsy vanners are sort of a novelty breed right now and can be expensive, so I bet a lot of her "mouthing off" was due to jealousy. Gypsies may hold their heads higher, but they still need just as much training as any other horse to have correct form under saddle.

Its her choice not the other mother's decision. I can see why your daughter would want to show them off though. Just pulled up pictures and thay are AMAZING
droolin.gif
When she does get one please post lots of pictures for us to see.

Quote:
This is a person that I would not listen to at all! From my experience Gypsies are an amazing, verstatile breed with a wonderful mind. I really feel it would make your child a great horse. I will say though, that some circles of horse people do look down on this magnificent breed because they have very prejudice notions that it's just "pretty" and nothing but hair, where in fact, these horses are competent and capable steeds. So good luck and definitely go for it and have fun!
big_smile.png

I think they are the most gorgeous horses out there. I googled them one time, and still have the pictures saved, I loved them so much. I would show and show and show. . . .and brag and brag and brag. I am in a mean mood today!!!
gig.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif

droolin.gif
I love gypsy horses and would love to have one!! I say go for but just for clarification of the rules for showing call your county extension office. At least if you check out the rules you're prepared. Good luck and defitely post pics!!

Whether due to elitism, jealousy, misinformation, insecurity, or some other issue, doesn't seem to matter what she thinks as she is not the mother of your daughter, and as it appears her comments were unfounded. So, time for your daughter to enjoy her horse. I find vanners to be gorgeous, but what really seems attractive to me is that they seem to be sound in spirit and temperament.

Back
Top Bottom