MYCOPLASMA CULL ENTIRE FLOCK

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
Ok, so seems I am going to have to CULL my ENTIRE flock. They are getting sicker and sicker. Its been EXACTLY 21 days since I introduced my so called "friends" birds to my precious cream legbars (21 days is the incubation period for MS & MG).

When can I get ALL NEW birds? how long after should I wait? 2 weeks? 2 months? a year? I read that MS and MG do not live long outside the bird (about 3 days then no longer infective via air or physical transmission.

I am so choked. I am so choked at my friend....so upset right now :(

Your state veterinarian may have advice for your area, and could probably test to confirm mycoplasma to give you accurate information for your situation/strain. I would at least take one bird to be necropsied before culling the flock if it hasn't been confirmed.

Have you gotten testing or had a necropsy to confirm the diseases? Just asking because there can be other secondary diseases such as infectious bronchitis, coryza, or ILT (infectious laryngo tracheitis.) Two of those are viruses and may be around longer, especially in droppings. MG, MG, and coryza are not capable of remaining alive more than several days, once the birds are gone.

Are you planning on culling your cream legbars as well? All birds would need to be depopulated. If you have wild birds in your area feeding and watering nearby, they might be carriers as well. I would have some patients about getting a proper diagnosis, and not be in such as rush to get new birds.

I was going to post a link to the state vet page if it had Canadian info, but can't find it. I haven't used it in years. Does Canada have Veterinarian Medical Associations or something?

I was going to post a link to the state vet page if it had Canadian info, but can't find it. I haven't used it in years. Does Canada have Veterinarian Medical Associations or something?
I took a bird to the vet last week. They did a throat swab. I am waiting on tests. This is incredibly frustrating. I am so choked. I've raised these birds since december and they are just starting to lay now.

Pretty sure thats exactly what it is. MS or MG. Snot. Eye bubbles. Sneezing. Coughing. Some get lathragic and arent too active.

I took a bird to the vet last week. They did a throat swab. I am waiting on tests. This is incredibly frustrating. I am so choked. I've raised these birds since december and they are just starting to lay now.

Pretty sure thats exactly what it is. MS or MG. Snot. Eye bubbles. Sneezing. Coughing. Some get lathragic and arent too active.
I have learned to suspect but not expect when it comes to vet tests. Even when I am right, the tests are more accurate. I think it is ok to collect information, just in case, but I wouldn't make plans until I had the results and knew what exactly I was dealing with. I try to take a break from worrying about it, once I am waiting for a test, because the anxiety drives me nuts. Lol

MG never seems to hurt my birds. Yes, the act awful for a while, but then it passes, and they are back to normal. MG usually shows up when chickens are stressed, in your case, introducing new chickens is hard on chickens as they have to figure out the pecking order. Yes, your chickens will still be carriers, but all my chickens are carriers, and I get new ones all the time. I would give your flock a few more days/weeks, and see if they don't improve. At least that's my opinion. This is your decision though.

Glad you are waiting for the results. There are other things these symptoms could be caused by. It's the old adage "hope for the best but plan for the worst ".

Back
Top Bottom