Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection

You do realize that quite a few of us raise birds for meat also, right? That requires dispatching the birds, so we can eat them.

I agree that culling a flock, to protect other flocks takes a HUGE heart! I doubt anyone, even those of us that process them for meat, do it lightly or without thanks to the birds for providing us sustenance!

I also agree that it is a personal choice, as long as it does not affect other flocks...although how it could NOT affect other flocks, is beyond me, as we all go to the same places and unless people are practicing biosecurity at it's fullest, diseases are being tracked all over the place!

Yup,my biosecurity is as tight as can be,no one gets in or out without my knowledge,that includes my children's friends. My girls all know to take off shoes,wash hands,change clothes,before even thinking about going to see the girls. I have a small closed flock of ten,and intend to keep it that way,with everything locked up tight.

I just posted a reply on another thread, about chicks wheezing and dying. I love
love.gif
my poultry(chickens, ducks and geese) but would have to in good conscience have to cull anything that would damage anyone else's flocks. When I first joined BYC and read some of the posts, I too, thought some of the people were really harsh and that it was just a matter of personal preference. If I didn't sell any eggs or chickens, how was I going to hurt anyone else? I was totally wrong and I agree with Dawg and others
thumbsup.gif
. It is our responsibility as animal owners to not only protect ours to the best of our abilities, but not to let harm come to anyone else's either. Yes, wild birds can spread the disease, but if we do our part we can help eradicate, this disease by not keeping carriers, that other birds can get and migrate somewhere else to give to someone else. The USDA has free testing for one of your sick birds or if you can afford it take it to the vet for testing. Peace of mind is a great thing. I am actually going to sound harsh now(which is really against my nature)
idunno.gif
but how would any of you feel if you knew one of your carriers gave the disease to someone miles or states away and they had to cull their whole flock because they were responsible, but that they did love their birds every bit as much as you love yours, but had enough love in their hearts to feel for the other person whose flock could possible get the disease and have to go through the heart breaking pain they had to go through to cull their flock. A lot of us don't have a lot of money, and just the financial strain to start over is also very difficult. So yes it is best to be responsible. Whew, windy I know, I'm not good at expressing myself. I just know that as well as loving our animals, we need to love our follow man and his or her animals too.
hugs.gif
Best thing, in my opinion is to always get a test, vaccinate (it's cheap) and do the best you can. As for killing the birds, I personally can't do it, I have to have someone else do it for me on my meat birds. But I try to make sure they have very happy and healthy lives. I am always heart broke when one is gotten killed by the occasional predator. I can dress, them out and pluck them. However, I never get to know my meat birds because all my others are my pets but them. As always, my posts are always my opinion and are meant for love for you and your animals. Always.
love.gif

I noticed the white foam the other day and IMMEDIATELY seperated her from the rest of the flock...my question is how far do i need to move her from my flock. I have a quarantine pen, that is about 15' from my normal chicken coop run. She is in the quarantine pen, i would move it further but is to heavy to move by myself. Also if the infected hen was with my flock for the night, is that long enough to infect the rest of my flock?

I noticed the white foam the other day and IMMEDIATELY seperated her from the rest of the flock...my question is how far do i need to move her from my flock. I have a quarantine pen, that is about 15' from my normal chicken coop run. She is in the quarantine pen, i would move it further but is to heavy to move by myself. Also if the infected hen was with my flock for the night, is that long enough to infect the rest of my flock?
White foam in eye can also be from a simple eye infection,not always a contagious disease.

Back
Top Bottom