Mycoplasma treatment

Either from stress or your birds were already carriers to begin with before your roo came in the picture or before the tests were done.

NPIP is not a guarantee of negative MS/MG unless they added it along with pullorum and tyhoid and AV tests.

I'll call and ask about the test results later today... And find out what this means.

Is everyone who is npip have no ms carrier birds in their flocks? Is that true? The guy who tested said they just started testing for this.

Because they tested positive, does that mean I can't get npip certified? I'm not sure how npip works. Some birds had higher values than others, some were next to nothing others had a high value. But all perfectly fine to look at them. The one that had been sick did have the highest value. Does this mean all the eggs from these hens will hatch out as carriers? Is there a way to prevent that? Is it on outside of the egg or is it internal?

that's a great question.I don't know if its transferred to the eggs or not. but since they are positive I would think you can't be a npip flock. that's my guess.

Ok... Talked to the people at the npip lab.

MG and MS are NOT required tests for NPIP status.  Not all states require testing for these two diseases.  Georgia does test for it but not all states do.  He said about 90% of all backyard flocks will test positive for MS.  Although there are reports of birds getting sick with it, he has never seen it.  He said its not a concern health wise for the flock.

MG is a different story and mine all tested negative for MG. While its not required to have an MG negative test results to be NPIP certified, it's NOT Asomething you want in your flock.  

In addition to buying from NPIP flock, you also need to ask if the birds have been tested for MS and MG since testing of it is not routinely done in some places.    If the flock owner has not tested for it regardless of NPIP status, he advised passing on those birds. While MS doesn't matter, MG does and no tests mean you don't know if they are carriers or not.  Its not worth the risk to bring it into the flock.

So in a nutshell:  
MS is ok
MG is not
Positive tests for either or both do NOT eliminate you from the NPIP program.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I stumbled upon this thread.

And I'd have to say that I disagree with the conclusions some of you folks came to.

MS is good ...

MG is not ...

I recently went thru an ordeal with a group of meat birds, losing the entire flock of 50 because of MS.

Don't want to bore you all with a long story but it started with complications in shipping, and it ended with losing 31 and me culling the last nineteen (19).

Because of being meat birds and seeing all the things the birds went thru, ie; twisted necks, twisted joints in some cases the legs were completely backwards.

Joints locked in place, huge blisters on the breast, raspy voice, green and yellow poop. Those are the ones I can remember.

From what I read incubation is seven days so normally when you find out the first bird is sick, the rest of the flock is already exposed and most likely will have it.

Also according to the article I read the disease can be carried thru the eggs to the unborn chicks.

It can be spread by air, dust and by close proximity to birds carrying the disease.

Once you have it it's very difficult to get rid of, clean up is a nightmare.

Luckily for me, my laying chickens were completely on the other side of the property, It will usually not jump to water fowl, also lucky for me.

Unfortunately the only real way of stopping it is eliminate the effected.

Good Luck, and hope no one else gets this problem with their flocks.

I can't find the exact links I had when I was researching, but here are two general links I found again. If I find the one I found before I will post it also.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Mycoplasma_synoviae?lang=en
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis/

Back
Top Bottom