mycoplasma

ole red

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
poplar grove, ar.
that bad disease. not sure how to say or spell it.

took some of my chickens to the AR. Livestock & Poutry commission
diagnostic center
this morning, 4 of 6 had it, going to euthanize my whole flock, around 200 birds.

anybody else had to deal w/this dreaded disease, or know anything about it?

Last edited:
Who told you what disease your chickens have. I've looked everywhere and I can't find a disease that starts with a 'P'. Did anyone give you a report on the chickens or any other information? Now I'm curious.

Call them back tomorrow and ask them more about it - make them spell it out if you have to. I'd want to know as much as possible about this before I submitted to mandatory culling! I thought the only ones that required eradication were: Salmonella, Pullorum and Avian Flu.
hu.gif

Maybe the State's Dept of Ag website would have a listing of all diseases that require culling and you might recognize what they said.

I hope you get answers! I'm so sorry! I voluntarily culled my whole flock once and it was so hard.
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry about your chickens!

Quote:
Mycoplasmas are not zoonotic, so don't usually require mandatory eradication. However, it is spread chicken-to-chicken and hen-to-egg so I was given the option to keep a closed flock - no selling birds or hatching eggs. I chose to voluntarily cull my flock, but was not ordered to by the state.
hmm.png

it's not a mandatory depopulation, it's voluntary depopulation.

because according to them that is the only way to completelt get rid of disease.

oh i'm going to really hate it, but i don't want that on my place and if that is the only way, guess it just has to be.

My books say it can be treated with Tylan. Why are you going to cull your entire flock? Please don't misunderstand me I'm not saying not to I'm just curious.

Back
Top Bottom