SuffolkGirl

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
UK
Very long story. BIT OF BACKGROUND STORY- Back in the summer last year I purchased two new hens to go with my flock from the breeder I got my original three from.

All seemed fine, after a week one of the two new ones became seriously unwell. Runny nose. Lethargic and a weird mucus coming out of her nose and mouth. Yellow and very thick, I’ve had chickens all my life and never seen this before. I rang the breeder took her back left the Other hen as she seemed fine and healthy. He gave sick hen an injection said he’d keep her till better, he said was nothing just stress divided from moving but I said I wasn’t happy about it. Week later I collected her she seemed right as rain. Fast forward another week of having her back. Same happens. I return both hens as they were both silkies and they other was lonley without her sick friend. Clearly it was something more than stress.

CURRENT SITUATION- Now not long after that (2 months?) one of my hens nearly died from illness but with vets help she pulled through. I thought it seemed a coincidence after the sick hen had been and gone however my hen had different symptoms completely so disregarded it.

It has now been a year and one of my Cochins has what I think is Mycroplasma. Bubbly eye snotty nose and wheezing. She had this a few months back. I gave tylan and she cleared up. Now it has happened again but She has now also got runny poo, however she is bright eating and drinking. (I link back to the new hens I had and sent back as I’ve never had illness in my 5year old flock until now they had always been healthy and no problems). My second Cochin seems to have developed a leg problem (different problem) and walks weird. She has had this for a year and everything I’ve tried has made no difference. She always has seemed very happy in herself however now within 24hrs she has also got runny poos same as other Cochin, is lethargic and not happy to walk around. My third hen is fine. No symptoms and seems very happy in her self.

Am I right in thinking Mycroplasma?

They currently have tylan in there water which I’m going to give them for 5 days. I know if Mycroplasma best thing is to kill but I love my girls and would be gutted to loose them this way.

Unfortunatley Mycoplasma is very common in the UK. However, it isn't necessarily a death sentence.
A lesson I think many chicken keepers are going to have to learn is to close their flocks, preferably with a rooster for breeding and not to bring in any chickens from the outside.

It is too late now but a quarantine period would have served you well. Mycoplasma is one of the ailments that would show up in the proper quarantine period and you would have your original chickens in a heathier state.

As you have probably found out in your own research, there isn't much one can do about it. Antibiotics may alleviate the symptoms but once your chickens have been exposed they are carriers for life.:(

What you must do is greatly improve your biosecurity from here on. This means foot baths, chicken only clothing left with the chickens. Obviously you can't bring any more chickens into your group.

Unfortunatley Mycoplasma is very common in the UK. However, it isn't necessarily a death sentence.
A lesson I think many chicken keepers are going to have to learn is to close their flocks, preferably with a rooster for breeding and not to bring in any chickens from the outside.

It is too late now but a quarantine period would have served you well. Mycoplasma is one of the ailments that would show up in the proper quarantine period and you would have your original chickens in a heathier state.

As you have probably found out in your own research, there isn't much one can do about it. Antibiotics may alleviate the symptoms but once your chickens have been exposed they are carriers for life.:(

What you must do is greatly improve your biosecurity from here on. This means foot baths, chicken only clothing left with the chickens. Obviously you can't bring any more chickens into your group.
I am kicking myself that I didn’t quarantine them for long enough. I have foot dips here anyway that I use every time I go in and out of the run. I very much blame myself 😔

I am kicking myself that I didn’t quarantine them for long enough. I have foot dips here anyway that I use every time I go in and out of the run. I very much blame myself 😔
It's a hard lesson most people learn. Don't beat yourself up too much for it now.

It's so easily done. You can get a blood test done to get confirmation should you have any doubts.
I hope you find you have some hens that are resistant and if not some who who survive the bouts that are common with the disease.:hugs

My chicken with the funny legs has gone severely downhill. She is barley walking. Mainly sitting in the nest box. Severe upset tummy. She is drinking when I offer. I have tried antibiotics for the past three days (Tylan soluble) as well and electrolytes to try and help with her upset tummy.

She’s made no progress in three days. She seems alert and drinks when offered but she can barely walk 😞 I just feel she’s not going to get better. To make it worse the others are fussing over her and I know they’ll be upset when she goes.

Am I right in thinking her time has come or am I rushing?

Sorry about having a chronic respiratory disease affecting your flock. Does the bird who is having leg problems have any swollen ankles or joints on her legs? Is she paralyzed in either leg, or using her wings to walk? It would be prudent to get one or two sick birds tested for the 8 or so respiratory diseases. That way you would know what you are dealing with, and you could get the correct antibiotic to treat it.

Viruses do not respond to antibiotics, so their use is not necessary. Mycoplasma (MG and MS) plus coryza will respond. Sometimes it is possible to have more than one disease, such as infectious bronchitis and MG. Close your flock until the last one is gone. Once they are gone in a few years, it would then be safe to get healthy new baby chicks once a few weeks has passed.

I never recommend getting chicks or started birds from other people, since some will not tell you about diseases they have had.

Back
Top Bottom