Mystery "barred rock"

RonoKT

Songster
Jan 29, 2016
London UK
I have recently hatched out a mixture of eBay eggs, including some barred rocks, marked as such by the seller. Three of the six eggs made it to hatch and I got two pullets and I thought one cockerel, as it was much lighter. As the paler chick fluffed up, it seemed much to light;

That is the three of them with a White silkie (front right).
I let the seller know and sent those photos to him and he apologised and said he thought it was a light Sussex and his egg collector (father) had got them mixed up, he keeps seperate pens. I wanted some light Sussex (and have some hatching tomorrow) so I wasn't at all upset. I don't think it is a light Sussex now though, they hatched on January 23rd, I will post photos at various stages.

My opinion........ ALL CHICKENS ARE GOOD.. Unless you are breeding for Show Quality.
I will follow this thread to see how they grow out. Keep us posted with pix. Wishing you best.
smile.png

AND NOT TO FORGET..
welcome-byc.gif

The seller currently sells Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock. They will soon be selling more varieties, so I assume these could also be possible, they are; Vorwerk, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Black Rock and Ayam Cemani.

I'm enjoying having a mystery chick but I would like to know so I can attempt to sex it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks cavemanrich, I agree, no chicken is inferior in my garden but I always want to know more about things and I am hoping to do some breeding in the near future, perhaps mixes but I would want know what mixes.

Chicken maths has already got out of hand. I have 3 Ross 308 (soon to be 0), 11 chicks in the brooder, 6 eggs in lockdown and another 11 eggs ten days behind. When I'm not paying for the eggs...

If you
The seller currently sells Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock. They will soon be selling more varieties, so I assume these could also be possible, they are; Vorwerk, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Black Rock and Ayam Cemani.

I'm enjoying having a mystery chick but I would like to know so I can attempt to sex it. Any help would be much appreciated.
get a Vorwerk it will be a bantam.

I have some large fowl vorverk hatching on the 27th. I don't want to be hatching any more chicks for a while. We'll see how that goes..

I have had another look at chick pics of all the above breeds and I can't work it out. I think it must be a light Sussex mix. I should add the egg was a tinted egg, similar to the barred rock eggs.

Back
Top Bottom