Mystery Brown Chicks

ClareD

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
New Mexico
I received several of these pretty brown chicks in my surprise standard pullet assortment from Ideal Hatchery. They are about two weeks old. Any ideas of breed?

I'd say Partridge Rocks. . But then I noticed that the comb appears rose, in that case they are probably Partridge Wyandottes.

Last edited:
Those might actually be Rhode Island Reds (my favorite breed so far).

If so they are great layers and good meet birds as well, they are also pretty hardy.

Our rir Roo was a yellow chick with a few dark lines on him. He never had speckling or patterned feathers, so I don't think its a rir.The other chick in this picture was meant to be a rir but is actually white with brown speckling, like an amber star?.

Last edited:
too dark for welsummer. I looked at the breeds in the assortment on their website and I would say they're one of the dark legged ones, as you can already tell, maybe americauna, rhode island red, or possibly, but not sure, the naked neck. Can we see photos of their backs and from a distance? hope this helped.

Thanks all. I will post a couple more pictures after work. I looked at some partridge rocks and wyandottes on google. They look a lot like the partridge rocks. The adults of that breed are so beautiful. I so appreciate your input!

In addition to my earlier post i would like to add we had a much darker chick hatch too but it died. I've also looked around on here at rir chicks and some do appear to have the patterned wings feathers although the chicks tend to be a more warm red colour with small bits of golden yellow. Maybe if you search the forums on here for chicks of the breeds people have suggested to compare.

Last edited:
Maybe a partridge wyandotte. With that comb I don't think it would be a partridge rock. I may be wrong, but maybe even a dark cornish? If it has "chimpmunk" patterns many more breeds come into the picture

More pics:

They are somewhat small compared to the other assorted pullets. I believe the others are australorps, gold sex links and anconas

is the comb flat (rose comb) or does it have a small ridge in the middle? If they have pea combs, they are dark Cornish. If it has a rose comb, then its a Wyandotte. Both pictures I found on feathersite.com are bantams, but the color pattern is the same. Ideal has Dark Cornish and Partridge Wyandottes.

Show quality Bantam Dark Cornish Hen
BtyDrkCornishHTop.JPEG

Show Quality Bantam Partridge Wyandotte
PartrWyBtyF.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom