Mystery Bunch - what breed(s) are they??

They are awfully little to be given anything more than small, occasional treats like half of a grape or a strawberry. Their chick starter is balanced nutrition for them, and everything else they eat puts their nutritional intake out of balance. When an animal is that small, they are eating such a small amount and a grape is so large to them--think about if you were given a giant sugary piece of candy that was literally half as big as your head when you were a kid, and how much supper you would have eaten that day. That's the size a grape is to a chick.

You can give them some grass, but they probably won't eat it. Even hens don't eat that much grass--they mostly look for little tender yummy plants. It wont' hurt them, though. It will introduce some bacteria into the brooder, which I happen to think is a good thing--but that is a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Penguin looks just like my barred plymouth rock chicks. And miss fluffy pants looks like a buff orpington. Starbuck looks like maybe a leghorn but definitely a white chicken.

We were hoping for Orpington chicks, but fluffy pants has some brown on her wings, which makes me doubt the Orpington theory :/

Okay, I've got another question
tongue.png
We've got the chicks set up in a dog kennel in our laundry room. We've also got a 1yr Buff Orpington hen in the laundry room (she was attacked by a possum and is currently healing). This morning she was taking interest in the chicks, standing by the kennel and watching them. In fact, at one point the chicks were getting loud and flighty so she walked over, made some odd noises (lol) and the chicks calmed down. Should we try letting her 'adopt' them? Would she hurt them? Would they mess with her injuries? Should we just leave the set-up as is?

I've had hens adopt chicks. However they were generally broody and I just slipped them under when she wasn't looking. It never hurts to try ( with close supervision) and see what happens. I've even had roosters help out in the chick coop at times! If she gets aggressive I'd seperate them pretty quick tho.

Buffs are usually very docile. let him play mr mom :)

oops - I mean her. For some reason I thought you said rooster

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk it unless she was already broody. Even the most docile birds (even my silkies) usually aren't really too warm and fuzzy towards chicks that aren't theirs, sometimes pecking their little heads if they stray too close.

The black ones are BA's. I have four and they looked exactly like those when they were tiny. The couple of white wing feathers are typical of the breed. Mine still have them at 8.5 weeks. I think they come out at the first molt.

The black ones are BA's. I have four and they looked exactly like those when they were tiny. The couple of white wing feathers are typical of the breed. Mine still have them at 8.5 weeks. I think they come out at the first molt.

BA is a Black Australorp, correct? :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom