Mystery chick, ID please! PIC~~

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Got this mystery chick from McMurray. It's 4.5 weeks old now. Dominique? Boy? Girl?

IMG_0379.jpg

Quote:
The Barred Rock has a single comb, the Dominique has a rose comb. There are other differences, but those are the easiest to see.

Got it, thanks. I'm interested in Dominiques--can someone who has them tell me about their particular benefits besides being a heritage bird?

Quote:
The Barred Rock has a single comb, the Dominique has a rose comb. There are other differences, but those are the easiest to see.

Got it, thanks. I'm interested in Dominiques--can someone who has them tell me about their particular benefits besides being a heritage bird?

I can't tell you much from personal experience, I read up on them after McMurray sent one as the "exotic chick", a freebie.

They're an old breed, apparently accompanying the early colonists to North America. I've one source that says they're slightly smaller than Barred Rocks and another that says they're slightly larger. It's close enough that normal variation could make either the larger one.

The rose comb.
close_up_of_dominique_std_roo-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like my 8 week old Barred rocks but I also have a Dominique and you won't be able to tell until they have a full grown comb the Dominique has a rose comb versus the straight comb of a Barred Rock. Barred Rocks are more common though. My Dominique is very mothering and I have added six new 5 week olds to my flock and she takes very good care of them, like a good mother hen, but she has also stopped laying eggs now, I wonder if anyone knows how to get her to lay again!!

I guess what I was trying to say about the Dominique characteristics is she is very mothering, she comes running when we come outside to her, she loves people, A LOT! She was a great layer and she is easy to be handled and has done well with a large flock of very young chickens, she is one of 15 and 14 of them are only as old as 9 weeks going down to 5 weeks. She is a great chicken, I would get more if I knew where to get them! Her name is Henrietta
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom