"Mystery" chick sent in MPC order

The Meyer website is not very up-to-date. I think you have to call them.

Meyer will ship me 3 chicks (minimum) to Central Vermont, but MPC would have an 8 chick minimum to the same place. So, FYI, to those who want really small orders, Meyer may actually be better than MPC.

Quote:
Here's a picture of her today . It was cloudy this morning and her true colors don't shine. The red and gold in her lacing just shines in the sun.

30473_chickens_164.jpg

There is a lot of variations in color with EE's you might be lucky and end up with one that looks like Horsefeather's famous Fatima (she came from MPC)
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=105813

My Violet was hatched late May and hasn't started laying yet. I'm hoping for green eggs! I think she came from Belt hatchery here in California. I got her from a local feed store.

Quote:
Oh... I should have thought of that.

Quote:
Wow, she seems to have a really long neck! (At least in this picture.) Her head feathers puff out also, huh? I'm checking often to see if I notice any puffy cheeks on this chick, but so far I can't tell.

Quote:
Oooh, she's beautiful! And now I'm hooked on HorseFeathers story, as well.
wink.png

Quote:
Don't all EEs lay green eggs... or do some lay blue eggs? I'm just learning about EEs.

Last edited:
Your chick looks just like the red/brown EE I got from MPC. The legs on mine darkened up to a pretty dark green so there was no confusion. Mine grew out feathers with varying shades of brown and black and is going through an ugly phase.

MPC sorta did something strange with my (straight run) order. I selected to have 2 mystery rare chicks (for a little fun) and the chicks I got weren't on their list. I had asked MPC what the chicks were in an email and they got back rather fast just to say they didn't know and didn't keep records. The chicks are salmon faverolles (which are indeed supposed to be a rare breed) and they have very distinct personalities. The female one was named Spamzo from the first day we got them. I love spazmo, hehe.

*edited to add- EE's can lay varying shades of blue, green, pink, brown...etc. Depends on the particular EE cross and presence of the pea comb which indicates the presence of the blue egg gene (at least that is what I keep reading over and over on this forum).

Last edited:
Blue Andalusian crossed with Easter Egger... hmm, why don't they just sell it as a barnyard mix? Although, I would probably be interested in a Blue easter egger.

I'm glad you are taking this so well though. I'd probably be the same. A little angry at first, then frustrated and then, just happy to have a healthy chick!
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment.
smile.png
I was most annoyed at the attitude of the hatchery and MPC trying to pass it off as a Blue Andalusian, as if I'm too stupid to understand how the blue gene works! (After all, I have a BA in Biology! One of the reasons I liked the idea of getting Andalusians is that Gregor Mendel used them to study codominant traits.)

I really didn't want any substitutions but I s'pose as long as the egg is easily identifiable by color, I won't have breeding issues. It's interesting and kinda fun to get a "surprise", but it's frustrating to have an order botched when I clearly stated what I wanted. Oh well, she's cute and fuzzy... and it's not her fault. Things could be worse!
wink.png

Last edited:
You are not the only one who loves to rub your face on the cute little buggers! I do the same thing. I even like to rub my face on my husband's mean rooster if he is holding him while I do it. It's the only way the mean old thing will let me get that close.

I have no idea what your red chick is, but they should refund your money since it's not the Andalusian that you paid for and let you have it as a freebie. It's a cute chick. I hope it ends up being something you love.

The brown chick looks like my Gold Spangled Spitzhauben! :lol This is too funny! Beautiful baby, no matter what she/he turns out to be.

Back
Top Bottom