Mystery chick! (what breed is it?!)

BeccaGore

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Illinois
Good morning everyone!

I am finally back with a new batch of chickens, and chicks! There's 1 chick that I need help on trying to figure out which breed it is.

Here's a little back story:

My husband, and I often go to a large Amish Community where we buy a lot of food in bulk for a great price. After not having chickens for so long I decided hey I have an incubator, the eggs here are collected fresh then sold. Why not give it a try, right?! So I snatched up a dozen eggs marked as "Jumbo Brown Eggs." Let me tell you, they were indeed some Jumbo eggs, haha. The tips would barely fit into my Auto-Tuner. After waiting for about a week only 1 out of the 12 showed any signs of formation. I waited a few more days, and pitched the other eggs. (No formation at all.) I worked my butt off to keep the last little egg going, and finally last night she hatched!!! <3 <3 <3

She looks so different from any other chick I've ever had. Her down looks to me longer, and almost "fluffy," she light yellow with brown on her head, and side of her neck. Along with the brown on her neck it is longer, and like a wisp of down, almost like a little hair do, haha.

I am attaching several photos from different angles so you can get a better view of her.

What an adorable chick! With that beard, I'm going to say EE.
smile.png

I think you'll have to wait until it's feathered out. I'm not seeing the EE, and it came from a brown egg.

You could always ask at the place you bought the eggs. With such a poor fertility rate, I'm thinking there probably weren't many roosters to choose from.

I think you'll have to wait until it's feathered out. I'm not seeing the EE, and it came from a brown egg.

You could always ask at the place you bought the eggs. With such a poor fertility rate, I'm thinking there probably weren't many roosters to choose from.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom