Mystery chickens (or when eating eggs hatch!)

Caitenji

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Northeast Missouri
My daughter's kindergarten class hatched out some baby chicks. They were only supposed to be hatching some Jersey Giant/Wyandotte crosses from the teacher's brother. But... a neighbor of one of the teachers left a carton of eggs (for her to eat) on the wrong teacher's car. So, the "eating eggs" also ended up in the incubator before anyone realized the mix up. To everyone's HUGE surprise, about 4 days after all the cute little black chicks hatched, 4 little red chicks hatched from the other eggs!!
ep.gif
Only 2 of the red guys survived, and since we already had chicks (yep, chicken math is out of control), we brought them home. The only clues I can give re: breed is that they hatched out of light brown eggs and both have single combs. One chick is redder than the other and had faint darker red chipmunk stripes on the back (but NOT chipmunk striped like my EE chicks). The second chick was yellower. I was wondering if they might be sex-link crosses, but they are feathering out with bars or partridge markings or something. Likely they are just barnyard mutts, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any guesses. They are about 10 days old in the pics.

The first little one we named "Flipper" because s/he had really deformed feet that we had to keep taped for about a week. Now, you can't tell anything was ever wrong! Although I know it's too early to tell boy/girl, I'm hoping it's a girl. We're pretty attached to this little one. "She" is feathering out faster than her "sibling."

The second (yellower) chick we call "Fawn."

That is so cool when that happens :) At least you know that they really were free-ranged!

Those are production reds, which are very common birds companies use to lay brown eggs for stores. If you get females, they'll try their hardest to bury you in eggs :).

Thank you both for your help! I would be completely fine with being buried in brown eggs.
wink.png
Are there any tips for sexing these guys at a young age, or are these wait until you see the red of their combs kinda chickies?

I thought they were sex-links, too. But I went searching on the web, and it seems like the "production reds" offered by the hatcheries (at least at Cackle) aren't sex-linked. It's just their term for their RIR, NHR type crosses. Am I right on this?

I thought they were sex-links, too. But I went searching on the web, and it seems like the "production reds" offered by the hatcheries (at least at Cackle) aren't sex-linked. It's just their term for their RIR, NHR type crosses. Am I right on this?

You are correct. A production red is kinda a generic red layer, not meeting the standard of rhode islands or new hampshires. A production red rooster could be used to create sex links, over silver based hens.

It's pretty early on gender, but that second chick has some pretty thick legs. You'll just have to keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom