Mystery chicks

Lybe8438

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Enumclaw,WA
A few weeks ago my dominique pullet went broody. We didn't have a rooster and decided to get her some fertile eggs to hatch/ raise. All 7 eggs hatched and we ended up with a variety of colored chicks. My question is could anyone tell me what colors these chicks will look like when they are older?I'll try and get some individual pictures of each. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ads by: Food Buzz

Is Your Browser Outdated?
Check If Your Browser Needs To Be Updated In Less Than 3 Seconds!
MyBrowserCheck.com

Ads by: Food Buzz

Is Your Browser Outdated?
Check If Your Browser Needs To Be Updated In Less Than 3 Seconds!
MyBrowserCheck.com

Last edited:
Without knowing parent breed possibilities, it's hard to say much. I can tell you there was a barred bird in the parentage somewhere, and the chicks with a white spot on their heads will have some form of barring. After that, I really can't say.

I think the farm they came from had a couple black sex link hens, a rhode Island red hen and the rooster looked like a barred rock.

The hard part is sexlinks don't breed true, as they are a hybrid. So it is pretty much a guessing game. Except that the ones with the spot on the head should have barring. I went by this rule and I ended up with a black bird with a white head sickle and breast. He was gorgeous!

I agree! They are all very unique looking and I can tell them all apart. It's strange that you can get a brood of completely different looking chicks.

Here they are much more feathered than last time. Any thoughts now that they are more feathered out? I gave my best shot at the sexes but I really have no idea on the sexes or colors... seems to be a pretty interesting looking bunch. Anyone care to take a crack at the genders and colors?

1. I say barred pullet

2. Not sure on the color but I say little rooster

3. Not sure on the color but I say Pullet

4. Not sure on the color or the sex but I'm leaning towards rooster

5. Not sure on the color but I say pullet

6. Not sure on the color but I say rooster

7. Not sure what color this would be but it's my favorite of the chicks and I sure hope its a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom