Mystery Disease (necropsy pending)

Afrodigh

Songster
5 Years
Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
Chicken Disease Timeline:

June 30 - previously healthy hen died suddenly (I found it in the coop with liquid leaking from its beak, it died within minutes of me finding it. No other signs of illness in flock)

July 5 - 3 young hens purchased and put in baby coop/run adjacent to my big coop/run

July 14 - 1 adult hen introduced to existing original flock in big coop/run

July 17 - all chickens “free range” together before the 3 youngest were again separated
July 19 - 5 yo barred rock shows eye swelling and congestion. Several others are congested/coughing

July 20 - 7 day course of antibiotics started with all hens after a vet visit.

July 26 - roundworm noticed in droppings

July 27 - 1st dose of Panacure given (2nd to be given in 10 days)

July 28 - the newest hen (introduced July 14) dies as does one of my adult hens

July 31 - all hens appear to be recovered or recovering

Aug 3 - one adult hen seems to have worsening congestion again

The youngest ones in the adjacent coop seem to all be healthy.
My youngest one in the adult coop has barely been affected.
The adult worsening on Aug 3 has improved and declined and then improved several times

A necropsy was done on one of my deceased hens and final results are pending. It is so far negative for avian flu, micoplasma, and Newcastle.

What’s your guess as to what is going on? The roundworms seemed like a heavy load but only in one hen and she is improving. The adult introduced July 14 came from a healthy flock and her previous owner has had no disease in her flock since giving her away. My hens under a year old seem to be practically unaffected.

Yes, I will do better with biosecurity and proper quarantining in the future 😭
I’ve given lots of electrolytes, VetRx, supplements etc. I’m so ready for this to be over 😖

Back
Top Bottom