ISA Brown sick or just old?

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi, i have a ISA Brown hen i got in 2021, so right now she would be around 2 years old.
She had just recovered from her second prolapse, thankfully, and seemed healthy from the outside since then. She has been drinking apple cider vinegar water and now switched to Avi-Calcium with D3 in her water since her prolapse. Ever since molt season around July, my other hen went back to normal laying (Australorp still young and healthy), however my ISA Brown has not laid since. I know that the breed usually stops the productivity at around 2 years so i hope that’s why 🤞🏼
Ever since she recovered from her prolapse, she more and more got lethargic, one week she first started hanging around in the run, not going outside in the yard. Then eventually staying in the coop, walking outside every now and then. She is drinking water, is less interested in food and greens and usually if i come to pick her up she tries to get away, but now just lets me and usually stands in the same spot i put her down.
She sits in the corner of the coop where they usually lay eggs for about most of her afternoon. Her comb is a more paler colour than usual and droops, and she has a little spot of scabbing on her comb. And i found poop that was yellow.
For her age, i cannot identify if she just portraying old/dying behaviour or the poop indicating that shes sick and i have to keep digging to find out what and how.
Just took this photo to show my mum that where she is laying is unusual and she doesn’t normally sit there, while my Australop is digging in the corner there.

Attachments

• C0E212B3-FCED-47D3-AF2A-BE41B825C811.png
    C0E212B3-FCED-47D3-AF2A-BE41B825C811.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 95
Hi, i have a ISA Brown hen i got in 2021, so right now she would be around 2 years old.
She had just recovered from her second prolapse, thankfully, and seemed healthy from the outside since then. She has been drinking apple cider vinegar water and now switched to Avi-Calcium with D3 in her water since her prolapse. Ever since molt season around July, my other hen went back to normal laying (Australorp still young and healthy), however my ISA Brown has not laid since. I know that the breed usually stops the productivity at around 2 years so i hope that’s why 🤞🏼
Ever since she recovered from her prolapse, she more and more got lethargic, one week she first started hanging around in the run, not going outside in the yard. Then eventually staying in the coop, walking outside every now and then. She is drinking water, is less interested in food and greens and usually if i come to pick her up she tries to get away, but now just lets me and usually stands in the same spot i put her down.
She sits in the corner of the coop where they usually lay eggs for about most of her afternoon. Her comb is a more paler colour than usual and droops, and she has a little spot of scabbing on her comb. And i found poop that was yellow.
For her age, i cannot identify if she just portraying old/dying behaviour or the poop indicating that shes sick and i have to keep digging to find out what and how.
Just took this photo to show my mum that where she is laying is unusual and she doesn’t normally sit there, while my Australop is digging in the corner there.
It sounds like to me that she is sick...possibly from the prolapse...is she egg bound? I wish I knew how to help more. I do not know enough about this breed...2 years old is still young for most breeds and so her problems shouldn't be contributed to old age....

It sounds like to me that she is sick...possibly from the prolapse...is she egg bound? I wish I knew how to help more. I do not know enough about this breed...2 years old is still young for most breeds and so her problems shouldn't be contributed to old age....
she doesn’t show any sign of being egg bound, and so far no illness. But yeah this breed has a shorter life span than others, i really do hope she is just going to pass from living a happy old life rather than suffering in pain from some illness 🤞🏼

Is her lower belly enlarged? Can you post a picture of her typical poops? She may be suffering from a reproductive disorder. Is her crop emptying in the early morning before she eats or drinks?

Is her lower belly enlarged? Can you post a picture of her typical poops? She may be suffering from a reproductive disorder. Is her crop emptying in the early morning before she eats or drinks?
I’ve attached some photos of her crop and her bottom, the photos of her crop is from this afternoon. I’m not sure which of hers is her poop since i go work during the day but it could be either one of these. She also seems to be going outside and moving about more today, but not as energetic. I currently have not seen any yellow poop recently now.

Attachments

• 13505CEE-36EF-45C4-BB10-A95FC5100361.jpeg
    13505CEE-36EF-45C4-BB10-A95FC5100361.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 33F2236A-E909-4A52-BA1E-F105F6E35C28.jpeg
    33F2236A-E909-4A52-BA1E-F105F6E35C28.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 22
  • D329C623-9272-4123-9DF0-F5C8922ACD25.jpeg
    D329C623-9272-4123-9DF0-F5C8922ACD25.jpeg
    937.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 652A7542-CB3C-48A5-9621-146287BF5313.jpeg
    652A7542-CB3C-48A5-9621-146287BF5313.jpeg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 586DCB0D-7247-45E0-A434-197BEF9F31C2.jpeg
    586DCB0D-7247-45E0-A434-197BEF9F31C2.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 21
  • B7238782-1F87-48A1-9255-EBEFDD546219.jpeg
    B7238782-1F87-48A1-9255-EBEFDD546219.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 27
@bonandtam did she end up recovering and how is she going, did you find out what the cause was?
Thanks.
Unfortunately not, she got worse/lethargic as time went on so i chose to euthanise her so she passes peacefully. I suspected internal laying, ovarian cancer/the possibilities people suggested to me. But it was something definitely wrong in her laying tract.

Unfortunately not, she got worse/lethargic as time went on so i chose to euthanise her so she passes peacefully. I suspected internal laying, ovarian cancer/the possibilities people suggested to me. But it was something definitely wrong in her laying tract.
Very sorry for your loss.

I just found out how to use the search function and read about poor Tammie, sorry for your loss. You went above and beyond to take care of her and make her last days comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom