Mystery illness killing my pullets, something in my soil?

Jewelschick

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Whitesboro, TX
I’ve been wondering if there’s something in my soil. We moved to our home in July.

First issue: My 2 BR hens got sick but recovered in July from an URI. I gave them Tylan injections and they recovered. No further issues.

Second: I had 3 cream Legbar pullets die suddenly but each 2-4 weeks apart from the other. (I acquired them at 2 weeks old from a local lady). They all just puffed up one day and died the next day. I sent the last one in for a necropsy but it was rather inconclusive. It said it was sepsis.

Third issue: My 16 week old Wyandotte pullet died of what looked like Marek’s. Split stance etc. Symptoms appeared suddenly and she died within 5 days.

Fourth issue: I have another Wyandotte pullet who’s always sleepy. She has been this way for a couple of months. She’s 17 weeks. She eats and drinks fine but I have noticed a squishy crop at times and watery stools. I have given Corid a few times and treated for sour crop.

We just moved here in July. Is there anyway to test my soil?

Sounds like you are bringing in birds from various sources? That can bring in things other birds aren't immune to. It can also cause stress which can trigger illnesses. Since all are exhibiting different things my guess it isn't anything in the soil.

Sounds like you are bringing in birds from various sources? That can bring in things other birds aren't immune to. It can also cause stress which can trigger illnesses. Since all are exhibiting different things my guess it isn't anything in the soil.
All my other chickens are from hatcheries. Only the cream legbars came in from a local person. The Wyandottes and CLB’s were raised together as they were only 2 weeks apart. Besides that I have two 10 month old barred rocks. I did add some new hatchery chicks 5 weeks ago but 2 of the deaths happened before that.

Last edited:
Are your chickens cooped or free ranged? Try contacting you Department of Agriculture, ask if they can refer you to for soil testing.

From what I was told, URI is "controlled" but not cured and the whole flock would have been subject to it, therefore many flocks become "closed" as it's highly contagious. Was the URI diagnosed or the birds were treated for URI due to symptoms?

The Legbars that you got from someone ... You got them at 2wks old, is what I understand, how old were they when they died? If they passed within a month of you getting them, necropsy says "sepsis", I'm thinking they came to you sick. But if you had them for awhile before they passed, it's possible something at your place.

The Wyandotte was 16wks with a split stance, it's possible Mareks, do you have your purchased chicks vaccinated?

The sleepy Wyandotte, does the breath smell?
This is from my notes:
Crop Issues - (azygous) A squishy, liquid-feeling crop in the morning would indicate a yeast infection, especially if the poop is white and watery or "cottage cheesy". You would treat the yeast with an anti-yeast medicine such as miconazole. You don't normally want to massage a sour crop or make the hen vomit as the sour liquid can back up into the airway.

A hard, lumpy crop, perhaps smelling like a stopped up garbage disposal, likely is an impacted crop. You would treat this condition with several doses of mineral oil, coconut oil or olive oil. You might need to add a stool softener. You might also need to treat a sour smelling impacted crop with an anti-yeast medicine after breaking up the impaction with oil and massage.

If all attempts to treat a crop disorder fail, and the crop continues to be full and refuse to empty, and if it is overly large and hangs down low from the chest wall, you may have a pendulous crop that needs support in order to empty. This condition may be temporary if the hen is young, but permanent in older hens with poor muscle tone on their chest wall. A support device is helpful to keep the crop functioning.

Are your chickens cooped or free ranged?
They free range in the yard during the day and sleep in the coop at night.
Was the URI diagnosed or the birds were treated for URI due to symptoms?
Treated for symptoms. I believe this was actually stress related due to just losing flock members to predators, moving and the extreme heat. I probably didn’t need to mention it.
The Legbars that you got from someone ... You got them at 2wks old, is what I understand, how old were they when they died?
Yes I got them at 2 weeks old. The first one died after a month, the second one 2 weeks after the first and the third one died 2 1/2 months after getting them.
The Wyandotte was 16wks with a split stance, it's possible Mareks, do you have your purchased chicks vaccinated?
Yes I did. I’ve read different opinions about this and it seems like there’s no consensus on whether vaccinated chicks can infect unvaxed but it seems like an awful big coincidence to me. Still, they say unless the chicks were exposed to Marek’s they can’t spread it. So I wondered if they got exposed somehow, like it’s in my soil.
The sleepy Wyandotte, does the breath smell?
Not that I have noticed.
This is from my notes:
Crop Issues - (azygous) A squishy, liquid-feeling crop in the morning would indicate a yeast infection, especially if the poop is white and watery or "cottage cheesy". You would treat the yeast with an anti-yeast medicine such as miconazole. You don't normally want to massage a sour crop or make the hen vomit as the sour liquid can back up into the airway.

A hard, lumpy crop, perhaps smelling like a stopped up garbage disposal, likely is an impacted crop. You would treat this condition with several doses of mineral oil, coconut oil or olive oil. You might need to add a stool softener. You might also need to treat a sour smelling impacted crop with an anti-yeast medicine after breaking up the impaction with oil and massage.

If all attempts to treat a crop disorder fail, and the crop continues to be full and refuse to empty, and if it is overly large and hangs down low from the chest wall, you may have a pendulous crop that needs support in order to empty. This condition may be temporary if the hen is young, but permanent in older hens with poor muscle tone on their chest wall. A support device is helpful to keep the crop functioning.
Thank you for all the info on the crop. It does seem to empty at night but it never feels full to me. I have been putting apple cider vinegar in their water to help if it’s yeast but I may need to try that medicine. I actually have some in a cream. How do I administer it?

Back
Top Bottom