Mystery illness

MeganAlyssa

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2020
I had a almost 6 year old orpington hen that just passed away sadly. I was trying to figure out what was wrong but can't find anything online. I felt like maybe it could have been coccidiosis, egg peritonitis, possibly mareks but I'm not sure.
Her symptoms started out with watery yellow poop and like a penguin waddle almost, limping, was walking alongside the coop to keep her balance. Was still drinking normal and eating some. I separated her to evaluate and also started corid thinking it could be coccidiosis. The next day she was a little weaker, sitting mostly but standing up when I was with her and eating and drinking. Her poops were quite normal, but I did find a tiny hard yellow ball in one of her poops. I second guessed myself on the corid and switched to electrolyte water. The next day she was weaker, not eating or drinking near as much, could still stand but not for long, was very wobbly, still had the penguin like stance. Gave her an epsom salt bath to see if that would do anything. Picked her up after her bath and thought I heard an egg cracking but couldn't previously feel and egg so I don't think she was egg bound, I couldn't feel an egg either but that sound was weird. The next day she was more weak, would drink water when I poured it in her bowl. Wouldn't stand at all, her feet were curled up, no split legs though, but droopy wings. The next day, she was not wanting to eat or drink at all, no droppings, started syringe feeding and also started back the corid thinking it was that. Next morning she had passed. A lot of her symptoms I feel like matched coccidiosis or mareks but my other 2 girls are still acting normal. I don't know if maybe she somehow ingested something toxic. I put my other girls on corid just incase. I've never had issues with diseases before. But I've been all over the internet and different things have the same symptoms so it's hard to tell sometimes. If anyone has any idea of what it might have been. She was my sweet girl, very chill, so I guess I didn't realize until it was too late
20210416_124929.jpg

I'm so sorry. I lost two my first two girls at just one year of age, very suddenly. I think you've clearly been doing an amazing job for this to be your intro to chicken disease!!

I'm no expert so don't rely on me, but her posture issues make me want to guess at a reproductive issue. What were her recent laying habits, if any? Did you notice if she was kind of balloon like/bloated between her legs at all?

I'm so sorry. I lost two my first two girls at just one year of age, very suddenly. I think you've clearly been doing an amazing job for this to be your intro to chicken disease!!

I'm no expert so don't rely on me, but her posture issues make me want to guess at a reproductive issue. What were her recent laying habits, if any? Did you notice if she was kind of balloon like/bloated between her legs at all?
She was which made me think she may have been egg bound. But she was pooping so I was very confused. She wasn't laying consistently, I assumed it was because of her age. But to me it felt like the bloating/swelling went down some after I heard that cracking sound. And then I was unsure of how to clean it put or attempt to clean it out

Back
Top Bottom