Sponsored Post Mystery solved: Why hens stop laying eggs

i was just thinking that my 11 girls, they turned 6 months in November, i have 3 speckled Sussex, 4 black australops, and 4 barred rock. i haven't got one egg from the australops, or the speckled sussex. should i be worried? i'm trying to fine a wormer to worm them

My chickens havent laid an egg for 3 months! The first month or so I figured it was from the molting and the winter setting in. Turns out I have a freaking BOBCAT coming into my yard and terrorizing my poor chickens. Caught him on video. Police department and Fish and Game have been next to ZERO help. It really sucks, I already lost my beloved Penelope to this guy, my neighbor had one of her chickens attacked and the whole neighborhood is practically on lockdown. Im beginning to wonder if I will ever see an egg again. My chickens are safe inside their coop and run, but they dont know that!
The important thing is you took steps, and notified Fish and Game/Police to establish a paper trail of 'livestock lost' due to predators. This will make it much more easy if the animal has to be removed in the future. Also, by taking away a food source, predators are much less inclined to keep visiting the area as there is no 'easy meal'.

i was just thinking that my 11 girls, they turned 6 months in November, i have 3 speckled Sussex, 4 black australops, and 4 barred rock. i haven't got one egg from the australops, or the speckled sussex. should i be worried? i'm trying to fine a wormer to worm them
Well they are fairly young and heading into laying maturity this time of year is probably messing with them. Decreased daylight, colder temps. Also, they will keep laying to some extent even with intestinal worms. Look for dirty eggs, dirty butts, pale colored combs and if they have it bad the rest of the flock will shun them to an extent.

Well they are fairly young and heading into laying maturity this time of year is probably messing with them. Decreased daylight, colder temps. Also, they will keep laying to some extent even with intestinal worms. Look for dirty eggs, dirty butts, pale colored combs and if they have it bad the rest of the flock will shun them to an extent.
One Barred Rock started loosing some feathers on her back and a few on the neck. she has a very pale comb. the 4 Easter Eggers have pale combs, and aren't laying. they haven't layed in awhile.

I guess the reason mine stop laying is the cold weather, a few days ago they were laying like crazy then all of a sudden the next day no eggs at all!

My hens have not layed for 3 months too! December I introduced 2 pullets to the flock. The 2 pullets are laying well but no one else. I have total 7 hens an one rooster. My silkie did lay into January then went broody. My RIR was molting. Other hens all 20 months old and one 18 month old Cochin. Is it winter? They get supplemental lighting, good food.
Maybe to confined during winter I just want some eggs! Lol!

My hens have not layed for 3 months too! December I introduced 2 pullets to the flock. The 2 pullets are laying well but no one else. I have total 7 hens an one rooster. My silkie did lay into January then went broody. My RIR was molting. Other hens all 20 months old and one 18 month old Cochin. Is it winter? They get supplemental lighting, good food.
Maybe to confined during winter I just want some eggs! Lol!

So you are in Alberta, eh? Chickens aren't predisposed to lay over the wee light of winter. You might have provided additional light, which didn't work for you.

I'm going to suggest giving your hens a break and buy eggs for a couple months. It taxes their bodies tremendously to artificially maintain egg production through winter. They need down time!

If you take good care of your girls, they'll lay for more than just 2-4 years. :):thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom