Mystifying laying situation--"Sitting?"

Kathy Golla

Crowing
Jan 2, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Hello, I have a flock of six hens in Northern California suburbs. I have the strangest situation I can’t put my finger on. I’ve done a lot of reading about broodiness on the forums. I feel like my situation doesn’t really fit the textbook broody situation.

I have an almost 6 month old Golden Laced Wyandotte who is more “sitting,” and doesn’t fit the text book broody description. She’s been laying for about 5 weeks. She comes out in the morning, roosts at night, but goes into the coop and lays one egg almost every day and has picked her breast feathers to feather the nest. I have been waiting for her to lay her egg (sometimes shes in the coop for two hours), then I chase her out of the coop. Once she’s out of the coop she stays out the rest of the day, she doesn’t go back into the coop. Once she’s out she seems fine, she is eating and drinking, although she is smaller than the other hens and eats less. She has always taken a longer time to lay, and then would come out by herself, but now I think she would stay in there as long as I would let her. This has been happening for about two weeks.

Now my Buff Orpington yesterday afternoon (same age, laying for 5 weeks)) went into a nest box in the coop and made a perfect nest for herself. This morning she was doing the same thing as the Wyandotte. Laid an egg (in the nest box she had made the nest in) but sat on the egg. When I chased her out of the coop everythings fine for the rest of the day. Same deal as the Wyandotte with her, she has always taken a while to lay. Most of the posts Ive read says they may just be “sitters” versus broody since they are still laying an egg a day and don’t seem fully committed to the broody process. Will this go in cycles? Do I leave them alone or continue to chase them out of the coop? Any advice from you experts would be much appreciated.

If they leave the nest for the rest of the day they are not broody. My broodies will flatten down on the nest and refuse to leave it. But a hen getting ready to be broody will still lay until they get a full clutch of eggs and then sit and refuse to leave the nest. I have had hens that like to "play broody" but will only sit for and hour or two. I usually leave them alone and see if it will develop into broodiness. Sometimes it does. I love broody hens because I don't like having to integrate the babies after I raise them in a brooder. I had one hen that was a "sitter" but never went broody. Its really impossible with new hens to predict if they are getting ready to be broody or not. Over time I learned who was playing and who would end up broody and dealt with it from there.

I have several hens that will sit in the nest after laying, I call them 'The Loungers'.
They are not broody, but might be thinking about it....
....or might just want to rest in a nice cozy place.

I just leave them be. I don't 'call broody' until I see a bird in the nest most the day and all night for 3 days running...tho if I find a bird on a nest after dark when locking up I put her on the roost.

I have both. Much like everyone above, I've got some hens who like to sit there and take their time. Most of those are Marans/EE crosses.

I also have quite a few that require constant attention from early spring to keep them from going full broody. But they are known breeds that are considered broody; Silkie crosses and Old English Game Bantams...lol. I have a couple who are determined to set on other's eggs AND raise chicks at the same time...lol. Keeps me busy making sure the eggs are off the floor and away from them.

I haven't had the breeds your are concerned about...but I believe Buff Orpingtons are considered to be a broody breed. From previous posts on BYC it does sound like Wyandottes may not be quite as broody...but they can brood as well....lol.
(They like to keep us guessing)

Best of luck with your birds! Please let us know if you end up with broody hens.:)

Back
Top Bottom