Naked Necks,Turkens, and more NAKED NECKS Gotta love them.

I see a LOT of variety in the coloring of all of these naked necks and even see the bearded ones and it has me thinking and asking- is the Naked Neck a breed or a gene?
If it is a gene, how is it passed down?

I see a LOT of variety in the coloring of all of these naked necks and even see the bearded ones and it has me thinking and asking- is the Naked Neck a breed or a gene?
If it is a gene, how is it passed down?

Naked Neck is a breed.

How it woks you'll have to wait until @Kev comes along to explain it.

Naked Neck is a breed.

How it woks you'll have to wait until @Kev comes along to explain it.

The main reason I wonder is they seem to look different, like a RIR with a Naked Neck or a black chicken with a naked neck type thing. Maybe there are some other differences I am not seeing.

It's both a breed(s) and a trait.

There is a show Standard with specifications on how they should look. That's the breed.

It is extremely common for a naked neck bird to either freely mix with other breeds in a backyard or for someone to have a little of fun of crossing their naked neck with something(silkie and sizzles are common crosses for this reason), could end up being a project fitting the individual's preferences.

There is the issue of some people selling naked necked "mixes" as if they were "the" breed, even if they have a crest, beard, feathered leg or whatever. Other times, they just really are not sure what to call them, well they have naked necks, so why not say 'naked neck(ed)'....

And then there are separate breeds and variety that have naked necks. Madagascar Game is a separate naked necked breed. So is Cou Nu du Forez, various naked necked breeds in different countries, not very well known here if at all..

For variety, the most common example are Showgirls, which are essentially naked necked silkies(and IMO a big improvement, heh heh)

Miscellanous tidbits: naked neck free range chickens are very popular table chicken in France, also for the excellent crisping of their skin when they;re cooked. Naked neck greatly improves heat tolerance, especially in heavy or very large chickens... borne out by broiler studies in hot desert climates comparing naked neck broilers vs non-naked neck broilers with the former having higher meat yields(and many of them imply the naked neck trait may increase meat yield as a side effect)... Naked neck chicks are very popular/common in many tropical areas. in areas of South America, naked neck blue egg layers are common.. pretty cool huh..

Last edited:
I got a 2 year old Naked Neck Rooster today for $5. Guy had already sold a bunch of hens for the same price but they were Black Stars.
Looking at the picture of him I thought he was solid black but upon seeing him in person I must say that he looks like a dark Cornish rooster with the red wing feathers and long tail feathers. The guy said he was an extra thrown in by Murray McMurray hatchery. I can see why people are fooled into thinking these are half turkey because he acts like a turkey, sounds like a turkey clucking and poops like a turkey. He kind of reminds me of a Cornish X with the way he acts, kind of just "here" type actions. As long as he breeds is ok with me because that is all I need him for.

Does anyone know if Murray Mcmurray crosses Dark Cornish into their Naked Neck flock? I would post a picture but I don't have the URL location this site is requesting to download a picture. Just took it on my smart phone so I don't know how to attach it. I am sure someone around here knows they bird type I am talking about being a hatchery sells them.

I do also want to know about what he will throw. His neck does is pretty much naked all the way down though he does have some pen feathers on the lower part. If I breed him to my Barred Rock and RIR and Leghorns will they be naked neck?

I got a 2 year old Naked Neck Rooster today for $5. Guy had already sold a bunch of hens for the same price but they were Black Stars.
Looking at the picture of him I thought he was solid black but upon seeing him in person I must say that he looks like a dark Cornish rooster with the red wing feathers and long tail feathers. The guy said he was an extra thrown in by Murray McMurray hatchery. I can see why people are fooled into thinking these are half turkey because he acts like a turkey, sounds like a turkey clucking and poops like a turkey. He kind of reminds me of a Cornish X with the way he acts, kind of just "here" type actions. As long as he breeds is ok with me because that is all I need him for.

Does anyone know if Murray Mcmurray crosses Dark Cornish into their Naked Neck flock? I would post a picture but I don't have the URL location this site is requesting to download a picture. Just took it on my smart phone so I don't know how to attach it. I am sure someone around here knows they bird type I am talking about being a hatchery sells them.

I do also want to know about what he will throw. His neck does is pretty much naked all the way down though he does have some pen feathers on the lower part. If I breed him to my Barred Rock and RIR and Leghorns will they be naked neck?

Sounds intriguing... hope someone helps you with posting pictures from a phone.

I suspect they don't normally cross breeds with the NN very often, especially not cornish. I have seen some birds that look practically like naked neck red sex links though...

There is someone on here who has a rose combed rooster from hatchery stock. It's an obvious cross/mix due to comb..... what kind of comb does your rooster have?

Naked neck is dominant, a naked neck of either sex crossed with literally anything will throw at least half naked neck chicks if it is not pure for NN or 100% naked neck chicks if it is pure.

Pure for naked neck birds have either a really small "bowtie" with just a few feathers with the naked neck very obvious below it. Most not pure for NN have more feathers on neck, making more like a bib than a bowtie and can hide all or most of the front neck.

Last edited:
Are all Naked Necks supposed to be double breasted? I have read that they are but my rooster doesn't feel breasted, much less double breasted.

Back
Top Bottom