Naked Necks,Turkens, and more NAKED NECKS Gotta love them.

Pics
Here is the 10 week old updated chick from post 35. She's a hatchery mutt but I think she's gorgeous.
<3

46869_turken_side.jpg

Quote:
Kev - Thank you and actually, Ralph aka TATE, decided to get totally out of chickens, I met him at an auction and we got to talking - to make a long story short - he had 5 hens and a roo in a shed on the property - He had been working on these for 5 years and never told anyone - we were the first people to see them (he had a mille bantam jap project going too) well, I told him - I'd take them to Nava's Swap and get rid of them as I don't care for NN's lol!! They are friendly birds so......... Well, after a few talks with him (Ralph), we decided to continue the project and follow his plan to at least get them established.

So, yes, we are breeding this line more and tightening up the patterning and will be selling eggs at the start.

Awesome story and glad you are continuing/working on this color. There are several people on The Coop(another forum) who work with this pattern in other breeds, so if you want help or some extra info try there?

I would have been interested except all my chicken spaces already are taken up by laced project turkens. Sister of one hen used in project seemed to have mottling, hope it's in the gene pool as that would throw Tolbunt down the line as it's mottling on lacing. If that doesn't happen, well.. hopefully there will be more mille turkens around later to get some eggs from!

Quote:
LOL - that potatoe chip theory in reality lol!!! I can empathize.... lol..... That's cool. The next step with these is to cross back to the goldlace - hmmmm ...... you may be closer than you think lol!!!

Hey "the ranch", was wondering if your speckled naked necks are clean legged and standard size? Were using speckled sussex to bring in that pattern, your further ahead with your pattern. Let me know if you would. We are breeding for single combs, clean leggs and prefer larger birds. Thanks Frank from Bayshore

Here is my next Spring Breeder
38176_geese_021.jpg

From him I should get 100% full Naked Necks
Kev wrote:
"Formally", 'pure' naked neck would be genotype (NaNa), 'not pure' would be (Nana+) and 'feather neck' (na+na+). The + is just a notation to indicate wild type (Henk's calculator uses it for example). Not naked neck is the wild type version for this gene.

NaNa x na+na+= 100% Nana+
Nana+ x na+na+= 50% Nana+, 50% na+na+
Nana+ x Nana+= 25% NaNa, 50% Nana+, 25% na+na+ (this one is how two naked necked parents can throw feather neck chicks)
NaNa x NaNa= 100% NaNa
NaNa x Nana+ = 50% NaNa, 50% Nana

'Pure' can be small or no bow tie, 'not pure' is big bow tie, and 'feather neck' has no naked neck.

Back
Top Bottom