Narrowing down my flock (project that will continue until August I don’t even know where to start)

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
So I have about 30 chicks right now give or take a few I have to count them again. The youngest are 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 8 weeks to 10 weeks. After predators wiped out my entire flock I fell victim to chicken math. So I have a two cream legbars and two hampbars all two weeks then I have about 15 chicks that are 4 weeks old and they live with the two week olds. So I have three Wyandottes golden and silver, two splash marans, two polish two Andalusians two Meyer hatchery mixes (cookies and cream and partridge olive egger), one australorp, one wellsummer, one chocolate Orpington, and an exchequer leghorn. For the 8 weeks old I have two spitzhaubens, a RIR and dark Brahma. Then for the 10 week olds I have 8 Cochins (here is the thread I have specifically for their breeding project https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cochin-sop-breeding-advice.1621872/ ) I want to limit my flock to about 20 so that means selling my birds in our local fair. So me and my younger siblings always show are birds there. Each of us can sell two birds in the auction so we need to pick the top six most valuable birds then we can sell any extras out of the show barn. I definitely want an egg rainbow so I need to keep one ham to lay each egg color.

Currently my plan is

Sell one spitzhauben, one splash marans, one Andalusian, one cochin, one Legbar and the exchequer leghorn in the auction.

Out of the barn sell any remaining Cochins that I’m not keeping, a Wyandotte, and maybe one or both of the hampbars.

I’m using this thread mostly as a journal but if anyone has any input, ideas, or questions I’d be happy to answer!

Back
Top Bottom