natural branches for roosts?

kichohana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Johnston County, NC
I like the look of natural branches for some roosts in my run. I found some nice hardwood branches while foraging in the woods behind my house. They are about 3" diameter and long so I can cut to size. My question is this - some of them have moss and lichens on them. Would these be safe for the chickens or would it be better if I scrubbed them off with a stiff brush. I know chickens will eat just about anything, but I don't want to accidentally give them something that would be toxic. Any advice?

They are fine, and they are free too. A win-win. Some say better to take a buffer wheel to bark and de-bark them for inside to keep it easy to get poop off.
sickbyc.gif
Or get ones that are maybe two years cut so bark removal is easy. That is only for inside. Outside will be washed by rain so no matter.
cool.png

I've been saving a branch JUST for the new coop I'm a'gonna build. I used branches in the A-Frame coop I built, but nobody seems to want to roost on 'em - but I know why. In the case of the A-Frame natural branch roosts, there's not a lot of head room once a chicken is sitting on the branch in that triangular upstairs. Ah well. It will be much better in the NEW coop I'm planning!

The moss and the lichens are fine. Nothing to worry about there but mold is the enemy. If the branches are from a soft wood you might run into some serious mold problems if moisture abounds. I've been using eucalyptus branches in my run and backyard and have had no problems so far. I think they like having something natural to roost on.

Back
Top Bottom