Natural Remedy to help with flies.

I've not seen these anywhere, but I like that it says no pesticides. I bet I can find them on line though. lol thanks for adding to the input, maybe these ideas will help others here.

Wow thank you all, I've had a huge fly problem lately, this really helps!
1f604.png

Last edited:
Remember that fly traps ATTRACT flies, so place them further away from places you want them to avoid. Another really good option are Spalding's fly predators, which come in the mail monthly and do good work. Mary

Other herbs that work naturally:

Basil - Potted plant - Water at root (rather than at top) for stronger aroma.
  • Bay Leaf - Repels flies, moths, roaches, earwigs, and mice.
  • Lavender - Repels flies, moths and fleas.
  • Mint - Repels flies, mosquitoes, ants and mice.
  • Tansy - More suited to outdoor growth. Repels flies, gnats, moths, ants, mice, mosquitoes, roaches, mites and bedbugs.
  • Wormwood - Plant near entrance. Repels flies, ticks and moths.
  • Citronella Grass - Natural repellent for insects.
I hope you find a few of these to help make your feathers a happier flock... or peeps a happier home, whichever the case may be.

Side note: Some have had success with Rue. The leaves contain oils (when transferred to skin) that can cause severe burns, especially with prolonged sun exposure.

Thanks everyone! My goal is to be pesticide free so this helps!
BruceAZ - do you have plans for your flytrap? My husband asked what u used to keep them in?

I've been fighting flies here too! I've had really good luck with this trap:

Which is reusable. I've been using this bait as refil:

But, when I ran out I just didn't pour all the dead flies out when I emptied it, and added more water. Worked just as well.

The only downside though/ THE SMELL is enough to make you hurl. The bait stinks to start, then the decomposing flies just adds to it. It's really really horrible. So just this year I'm gonna try out fly predators. I'm really excited to see how well they work. I like the idea of no more stinky traps!! And it's about as natural as you can get!
Here's where I got mine:
https://www.spalding-labs.com/produ...t_flies.aspx?gclid=CNup8OrVzcwCFQWUfgod_OUNsA
I also use this. bought locally at Tractor Supply. Smell is
sickbyc.gif
. Dump (leaving some dead flies as stated above}and refill adding a few drops of dish soap or shampoo to help the flies sink. No need to pay for refills - if you have flies, you know what they like! Put some of that in: cat food, meat scraps, that egg you found buried on the coop floor.

Last edited:
I have tried the smelly fly traps too, they kind of work, but o Mann the smell!! I hav actually found that DE works great as fly repellent. Sprinkle it on where the flys like to land and they won't go near it...plus if they land on it they will not be around in a couple of days. Thus us by far one of the best things I have found so far. Atleast for me, it's really keeping the fly population down. :)

Back
Top Bottom