Natural stuff to use for and around chickens and geese.

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Weathers warming up and flowers blooming. Some of our hens are looking bare on their backs. But I'm suspecting more of rooster and geese damage than mites.. Were working on getting a goose pen built so it should help. Their run is almost all dirt and sand and they have some ankle breaking holes dug so. I did investigate and I saw no signs of mites even on the worst of the girls. It looks like the majority are feather breaks and centered where our rooster mounts and on the back of their necks. Vents clear nothing looked weird.

So I'm hoping to add some new things to their diet and care through the year. Maybe to help ease or prevent some warm weather issues that may come up.

We have a dried herb rack thats rarely used in our kitchen I can dig through if people suggest some things they found their birds like and what it could help prevent or treat.

We also have some essential oils in the cabinets.

And I was wondering if our blooming lilac bush could be useful as a treat for anything? (I would have kept my head stuck in a small lilac bouquet today if I could have lol)

I've heard mixed opinions on garlic or garlic juice in the birds water so can anyone more experienced clear up whether its okay or toxic?

We have a dried herb rack thats rarely used in our kitchen I can dig through if people suggest some things they found their birds like and what it could help prevent or treat.
We also have some essential oils in the cabinets.
See if the ones you have got appear in this article, and it will then tell you what is currently known to be good for what:
Alternatives to antibiotics for organic poultry production: types, modes of action and impacts on bird’s health and production
Poultry Science 2022 (open access) here
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psj.2022.101696

And I was wondering if our blooming lilac bush could be useful as a treat for anything?
Mine only use it for cover, shade, and very occasionally a perch; unless of course they also enjoy the scent :p

Back
Top Bottom