Natural way to deal wirh scaly leg mites?

Naolove

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hello! I'm brand new to this site and fairly new to chickens (4 years). I had a hen show up in my goat pen about 4 months ago, couldnt figure out where she came from as none of my neighbors recognized her as theirs. She was small and thin and has a massive amount of feathers on her legs. Fast forward to now and there has been an outbreak of scaly leg mites. Is there anything that I can do that's one natural and two doesnt require withdrawing the eggs? I will be honest covid hit my fam extremely hard and those little butt nuggets are what's keeping us alive 😭(no judgment on that please, it's been really really hard and terrifying) any ideas would be so appreciated! Thank you in advance and thanks for having a chicken forum! I wish I knew about this when I got started!

You can soak the legs and feet, clean off any dried debris from the mites as much as you can, a soft tooth brush used gently helps. Slather the legs with vegetable oil, you can also use the toothbrush to help work it under the scales. I like castor oil because it's very thick. You can also use vaseline or nu stock ointment. The idea is to smother the mites. Reapply several times a week until the legs/feet start to look more normal. It can take a while depending on how bad the mites are (pictures are always good).

I've been working with scaly leg mites as well- I give all of mine an epsom salt bath (just legs) and scrub the legs with a toothbrush (bought specifically for that purpose) and at night, I put vaseline on the legs to smother the mites.

Back
Top Bottom