NatureWise Feather Fixer pellet- anyone using?

SunAndDirt

Songster
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Washington County, Maryland
I switched over to this about 3 weeks ago, not because of molt, but because we had previously received a moldy bag of food and it caused my flock to go off feed and look a little puny. I was interested in getting them "back to pretty" in both flesh and feather.

Holy.
Cow.

I just started on bag number 2 and these birds all looked like they've been buffed and waxed (in a good way). They are all iridescent, SO soft, and the integrity of the feather is great. Not to mention, they have been steadily coming back into good flesh, and continued producing as expected. Overall, they look excellent, and they love the feed.

Does anyone out in BYC-land use Feather Fixer as a daily ration (or use it at all?) It is labeled for continuous use in laying hens, but is specific for molting. I am very happy with it, they seem very happy with it, and I wouldn't mind using it routinely. I just wanted to throw it out there for the "hive mind" as I paid about $15/bag at Agway 3 weeks ago and when I went in yesterday, they had it on sale for $10/bag (and they refunded me the difference from my last purchase! Food for $5!). Apparently, it isn't really selling, which raised red flags in my mind, so I figured why not ask here? Maybe it is horribly advertised, or maybe it is a horrible product and I'm ignorant. Either way, I hope to be set straight!

Thanks!!

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/feather-fixer/

Last edited:

Taa-Daa!!
I hadn't thrown the bag out yet!

Understandable. DE is worthless for mites since there is no residual, and when birds have mites in the environment, they just get infested again. In regard to chemicals. They can be organic or inorganic. Organic methods have proven to ineffective time and time again on numerous threads throughout this forum. People also don't treat their coops, or remove wild bird nests nearby that may harbor mites. They treat the birds but not the living quarters. I clean out coops about every 3 months by removing all litter from the floor and nests. I sanitize with Oxine AH or Biophene, let it dry. Then spray the walls, cracks, crevices, roosts, floor and nests with emulsified concentrates such as Permethrin or Ravap EC. Both Gardstar 10% Permethrin and Ravap EC are labeled for use on birds as well as premises, and are safe so long as label instructions are followed. My birds remain healthy and mite free for years of using that program.
Wow, if I had to go through all this for 20 years, I would have quit raising chickens! I clean 2 times a year, use no chemicals & have never had a problem. Guess I'm just lucky. I will probably go out & find all my birds infested now, since I opened my big mouth!

Hi all,
The NatureWise Feather Fixer with Mite-Fighter is now listed on our website, you can learn about it at www.featherfixer.com
The ingredient that fights mites is natural, non-drug and non-chemical. It acts in the feces as it is passed through the chicken to deter mites from congregating in the vent area. It has no impact on eggs or meat and as a side benefit it actually helps reduce the ammonia odor in the feces. SunandDirt, so glad you are liking the feed. We are pretty excited about it!
Tiffany from Nutrena

I don't see the benefit of yet another product marketed when there are superior products already on the market. Mixing a high quality starter/grower or game bird ration with layer feed boosts protein for moult. So does fish. Avian Super Pack has the right level of vitamins and minerals for moulting birds. If one doesn't want to use Avian Super Pack in the water, Red Cell or Poultry Cell provides it mixed in feed.
I'm interested in the mite aspect. My VERY well cared-for bantams get re-infested when I stop chemicals (D.E. doesn't do a THING for us!) probably related to a high sparrow population. I can't bathe the girls and totally hose and spray the coop in the winter!

i use feather fixer, that s the only food i have ever used since my babies grew out of the chick starter, so i cant tell the difference, at 3 months old my other poultry friends asked if they were 6 months old because they had so many feathers and it was so poofy, they were moved out side when they were 2 months, they seemed to grow really fast compared to other chicks. and my wyandottes are soooo soft, and my cochin felt like a feather down pillow, i will always use this food! i also mix in grit, oyster shell, and scratch grains with every now and them meal worms (yes my birds are spoiled)
big_smile.png
my year and a half old hen was not laying any eggs but when i started her on feather fixer she stated to lay about a month later!

I finally gave up on the Feather Fixer. I had gone through about 1/2 of the 40 lb bag but not because they ate it, mostly because of how they beaked it out of the feeder. Wetting it didn't seem to make them like it any more. I know it wasn't just because it was a new food that they wouldn't eat it because I went out and bought a bag of Blue Seal Multi-flock Breeder to replace it and they took to that right away and can't seem to get enough of it. There is just something about the Feather Fixer they didn't like.

for those of you using feather fixer -- do you know if they discontinued 'mite-fighter'?
No, They did not discontinue mite-fighter technology. They removed the wording from the bag, because of one state's concern about the way it was worded. Go to the nutrena website, click on chickens, click on feather fixer and then ratings and comments. The first question asked is about mite fighter and the company answers. I just bought my second bag yesterday. GC

First off, I'm fairly new at this chicken thing...but I have to say this about the mites!

WE are personally on DE (food grade) and our hens have it in their nesting box, sand under the coop and they have no mites, fleas or even ants in their entire world!

They free range in a large, highly protected (raptor-proof, coon, cat & possum proof) but with all the CHICKEN DE in their nesting box, sand below and sand in the "poop drawer" they are covered in it
as they love dust bathing in that sand. Had them both 4 months now and they are laying amazing eggs almost every day!

Was using Layena feed (crumbles) which they adore, but switched to Feather Fixer pellets for their molt season. Then, I noticed they didn't really get into it yet, so now I'm back on the Layena crumbles again!

Will keep a 7 pound bag of FF around tho...just in case!

So, check out CHICKEN FORMULA D.E. at your local Tractor Supply!

It not only protects them on the outside, but when they ingest it - it kills all internal parasites too!

Sounds like a win/win to me!

Hope you don't mind my adding my two cents to this subject.....I was on here trying to find out if I should keep the girls on Feather Fixer year round or not. Not on here and I'm sure the people who make it
would like that, but they are not unbiased...lol!

Have a great day, ya'll! :)
Linda in NC 10/13/16

Back
Top Bottom