naughty rooster

At least they have feathers on their backs. I have 5 hens with very thin worn feathers. As you know its hot- and getting hotter, but I dont think this is a natural way they use to deal with the heat. I just got some misting fans from amazon- they work really great. The chickens hated them at first- the water annoyed them but when its hot they go right in the path and lay down.

At least they have feathers on their backs. I have 5 hens with very thin worn feathers. As you know its hot- and getting hotter, but I dont think this is a natural way they use to deal with the heat. I just got some misting fans from amazon- they work really great. The chickens hated them at first- the water annoyed them but when its hot they go right in the path and lay down.

I have mister's on a timer set up at the far end of the run away from the coop. It help's them for sure. You can also set out some larger pan's of water that some ice can be added to. The important thing is to keep them hydrated in the heat. I make some wet feed with some vitamin and electrolytes in it twice a week, to help them also.

I really appreciate all of your expertise and help. My wife wants to make tacos out of him. I say- give him time. The 5 hens- all are laying now- the barred plymouth rock and nh red lay very small pigeon size eggs--about the size of walnuts. One or two didn't even have shells so they are very young. They are only 3.5 months old- about 1 week older than their little brother and potential baby daddy. None of my beautiful easter egger, buff orpington and others have any feathers. They look like an old taxidermy. My grandma had this pheasant that was about 80 yrs old like 50 yrs ago and that thing was worn and well past its prime- and my poor hens feathers look like that thanks to him jumping on their backs--clawing them and biting their necks. Its very hard on the feathers when it happens 10x day or more.

I have 6 younger ones that come out of the brooding pen for recess- they are 2-3 months and if he starts on them---one night we will have chicken for dinner and when I go to feed them at night and put them in their coop she will say--"that chicken dinner? It was him".

So he is about 4 months now- figured out how to crow, and definitely figured out the birds and the bees---and he likes it a lot. I will have faith that those of you who said it will settle down know more than me and have been down this path before. Thank you again.

PS: Can him jumping on the hens --the barred plymouth and NH red- make them lay eggs before they would have normally? The hormones or whatever? They are such tiny eggs--I just wonder. The ones that are older than he- they lay normal size- (like medium/large in a store) size. The NH is a little smaller bird but the plymouth rock is big- so I would assume big eggs. THANK YOU
No, he can't "get them pregnant" (these are birds) and this will not cause early egg laying. It might be beneficial to your girls to seperate him. Or get more girls.

Back
Top Bottom