nearly cut off silkie rooster's spurs...

wullus

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Being new to the chicken scene, I've heard about these "spurs" that roosters have, massive spikey things on the back of their leg? I've recently gotten some new silkies, as well as a new silkie rooster.

I was looking at his feet and saw what I thought was two massive spurs, which I thought was a bit odd for a month old chick. I printed off instructions and went in and grabbed him, and right before we were about to twist them off, I was like, "hold on. Silkies have 5 toes don't they?"

Haha LUCKY I thought of that. Would have been a bit cruel.

Anyway, we have another rooster which is a part of a different flock, and its probably about one year old, however he doesn't have any spurs at all. Is he likely to grow some, or will he forever be without?

Yeah, silkies have five toes (so do a few other breeds). A spur doesn't look like a toe, though. Spurs don't have toenails...they essentially are large toenails that grow out of the inside of their legs.

Most roos will eventually grow spurs, but not all. Ours is going on 8 months and just has nubs, but they are longer than they were three months ago, so eventually.

Oh, that mental image made me physically nauseous for a moment. Glad you realized the mistake before it was too late! Back when I had Silkies I loved looking at their little mutant feet.

They take awhile to grow spurs. I've got a 2 year old roo that's got an impressive pair on him. If you'd like to see what they look like I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Back
Top Bottom