Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

-6 here too. Still-4 at 9am. Birds are puffed up and enjoying leftover chicken noodle soup and veg with their feed mixed in.

Orps are great....for the winter. Summer here is hard on them. Again personal experience. Birds take cold better than heat.

As for waterers, i use a metal 5 gallon bucket waterer (lift type) on a 60w heat base. Does fine.

Moe

I have a mixed flock. Old girls are Blue Orpington, Heinz 57 (she was a classroom hatch), a silkie ( good for nothing but a laugh), after Thanksgiving I added a Buff orp, Barred rock, and Delaware somewhere about 20 weeks old when I got them. We got our first eggs from 1 of them last Friday and one Sat and today. Even as cold as it is! I don't light/heat my birds and they have been cooped a lot the last week so I am surprised we got one laying. None of the old girls are. :). I suspect it is the barred rock. Her comb and wattles are almost glow in the dark, they have gotten so red this last week. I have had good luck with Orps winter and summer.

I bought big bag of corn, and soak the kernels overnite
and then put them in a crockpot. Nice and warm when
the girls get the corn. I do that with different grains.

Just out of curiosity... does anybody in the Omaha vicinity have a really broody old hen they'd be willing to let me talk them out of? It's possible I may be interested in acquiring one before long here.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity... does anybody in the Omaha vicinity have a really broody old hen they'd be willing to let me talk them out of? It's possible I may be interested in acquiring one before long here.
" broody old hen" .......
Yes, that would be called a Grandma. !
aahhaa, just kidding.

My older girls are not broody, BUT I have the most wonderful broody indoor house chicken a Japanese Bantam.
If you ever want to try an indoor house hen, my experience so far is the Japanese Bantam. She has, as of now
raised up three or four clutches of adopted eggs. Once they go broody sure is hard to get their mind to switch over.
But she is a good girl and a little meat and crackers can interest her.

Back
Top Bottom