Neck Injury from Predator!

country flock

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 23, 2013
Pennsylvania
My hen has a very nasty looking deep wound in her neck and i'm not sure what do! I'm amazed that she is even alive! She walks and eats and mothers her chicks. We thought she was eaten Friday or Saturday, but then she turned up this morning. Should I put her down?

If you research on here, you'll find that chickens have an amazing ability to recover from some pretty horrific injuries. She has chicks-is the the only adult in the flock? So no one is picking on her? I'd clean her wound with betadine then put antibiotic on it (nothing with pain killer in it as it's toxic to chickens) or spray Vetericyn on the wound. Because of concerns with flystrike, if it's possible I'd wrap the wound so the flies don't lay eggs and get maggots in her wound. If she's eating and drinking and defecating normally, she'll most likely make a good recovery.

I would flush the wound out under a kitchen sprayer, then put some weak betadine or hibiclens on it . Dry it, then apply some Neosporin ointment once or twice a day. Can you place her in a crate with the chicks for a few days, plus food and water? Wounds can heal fairly easily over time if there is no infection. Be cautious about flies laying eggs into her wound, because of maggot infestation.

There is another hen and both lost 2 chicks, plus the rooster gone, but no, no one picking on her. Where would you find betadine or hibiclens? I/m hesitant to post a pic but it is going to be a tricky area to work with, it's the back of her neck.

Back
Top Bottom