Neck injury healed but still no feathers

Karilcole

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
Hi all, (Sry for the graphic pics) I have a year old Brahma hen that had a nasty wound on the back of her neck. She’s been in the house & it’s completely healed with skin. Problem is, no sign of new feathers. It’s been 2 months. If I put her back out w the rest, the 1st time my rooster gets on her, he will rip the new skin. Any ideas if they will eventually grow in or is there any way to protect it? Any advice will be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4776.jpeg
    IMG_4776.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4775.jpeg
    IMG_4775.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 5
It is possible that it may take until her next yearly molt for feathers to grow back. Or it might take a little longer. In the thread below, in post 5 a member shows a picture of a hen who was scalped and at 6 weeks feathers starting to come in:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/open-wound.1359304/#post-22415968
It’s been 9 weeks and it’s nice pink skin. There is no sign of ‘chicken skin’ (where you can see where feathers would come in). That’s only where her feathers are now & stops at the smooth skin…if that makes sense. Have you ever read about anything for a neck guard on here? I searched but never found any posts.

I had a chicken that had her entire back scalped by a dog - from the base of her neck all the way down to her tail feathers. Completely skinned with muscle showing. I didn’t think she would make it. I kept it sprayed with blukote for a month and kept a hen apron on her.

She never did grow back feathers, except for the edges and they do cover some of the area. She’s still going strong, 3 years later believe it or not! She does not let the rooster near her, though.

All I can think of is vet wrap on the neck when she’s around the rooster.

@Karilcole you could try making a neck scarf out of a piece of material such as cutting off an arm cuff of a sweat shirt, T shirt or sweater. That could slip over her head. It is good that she has healed. Let us know if her feathers grow back after she molts.

@Karilcole you could try making a neck scarf out of a piece of material such as cutting off an arm cuff of a sweat shirt, T shirt or sweater. That could slip over her head. It is good that she has healed. Let us know if her feathers grow back after she molts.
That’s a good idea - or maybe a child sized sock 🤷‍♀️

Whatever you use, I suggest getting something close to the color of the feathers so the other chickens don’t peck at it

Back
Top Bottom