NECK PROMLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

jarvisite99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Hi, I have a OEGB with a mesed up neck when I hold it right side up it's head is looking strate at me and when it is on the ground it can't say up and it falls on it's side and it's head is curled up right beside it's wing.
Any sugestions I am hand feeding and wataring her so she can live, I think it may be from mateing rooster, but it could be any thing.
hu.gif

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

It sounds like it may be wry neck, but I need more info to be certain. If it is indeed an injury then the prognosis for your bird is not good. Give some more info and let's see what we can see.

1) It is a old english game bantam, is normal wight
2)It just lays around on its side and rolls a round the odd time
3)Two or three days
4)No
5)No, unlese its head haveing a buleish green area on the one side of the head is a trauma?
6)I don't know what hapened but I think it was from a roo monting and hitting a part of the sual and may have brused it exsplaning the spot on its head.
7)I have hand feed it chick starter but it had been eating scrach grain and I have been giving it water
8)Normal
9)nothing other then saparating it from the flock and putting it with some young chicks (no heat lamp)
10)by my self
11)I will try
12)It was in a hay beaded pen out side and has a steel roof

Hope this is enought.
Thanks,
Jarvisite

Age?

The blue green mark on the side of the head is bruising, and that would qualify as trauma. It sounds like she may have a dislocated/fractured neck. I would need a pic to verify the type of injury I suspect. Depending on the severity she will either be permanently crooked necked but fine, or she will need to be culled. A pic and your observations of how well/not well she is doing would be helpful in determining that.

Sual? What is this?

Last edited:
Is she dead? If not, she should be put down. She is not going to recover from that. I am sorry.

I think she might me dead if she isent she will be by to night just got home from work so she is most likely dead.
thanks.

I fond a sopt on some of my chicks it looks just like the one on the hen (she has now dided) and I would like to know if it spreds.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom