Need a knife...

How do you sharpen your knives? Can you recommend a sharpener or stone?

Yeah, I can look online, but personal recommendations are much more helpful!
I use the pull through sharpener that came with my game processing kit. Don't LOVE it, but it gets them sharper quickly. Not super sharp though. I need to learn more about what the options are and how to do it for knife sharpening...

I've been processing chickens for four or five years using a cheap Uncle Henry's gutting knife. It's mild steel and I can put a really nice edge on it but it dulls very quickly. On top of that it doesn't feel good in my hand, having a handle that feels clunky and square, and it gets fairly slick when things get wet.

I usually put a .22 into the brain and immediately slit the neck arteries. Once drained, they get de-feathered. I separate the gullet and trachea from the neck then use a set of Gerber bone shears to take the neck. After that, I use the crappy Uncle Henry to trim off the tail/oil gland and cut around the cloacal opening but it's getting burdensome to keep struggling with a disagreeable blade. From the bloodletting to the gutting work to the separation of joints, breasts, etc., I need a new and better blade.

Points for lower cost, ease of acquisition and quality of the edge. What's your go-to knife for processing chickens- manufacturer, model, blade profile, etc.?
I have tried quite a few blades and have settled on the: Victorinox 6 inch Boning, Curved, Semi-Stiff Stainless Blade with the Fibrox Pro Handle (47515). Victorinox, makes The Swiss Army Knife. It is a relatively inexpensive tool (~ $35), that comes very highly used and recommended by professional butchers. It holds it's edge very well through a day (I typically do between 25-50 at a time...). My process is the one taught and used by Polyface Farm. I use a holding cone and do a Carotid artery/Jugular vein cut method (which provides a very quick and humane feint. I can and have then used the same model on the evisceration station, and sever the head, oil gland and finish the evisceration. I break mine down by either just spatch-cocking them or all the way into parts, and all with this knife. I have the stations separated with separate knives to avoid cross contamination but all the exact same model. I've been using this now for nearly two years and I have yet to find a better processing tool. From quail all the way up to deer.

I hone as I go with a honing steel. Sharpening is usually with a Lansky stone kit. but that is relatively new. I have a set of stones I think I got from Harbor Freight and used them for 20~ years.
Hope that helps!

I just got the Dexter Russel 6" boning knife and it's amazing. It's thin, light, flexible, stainless and has a really nice edge. Its held its sharpness through six chickens today with no loss of amazingness. The first cut was as good as the last. I am very happy.

Dexter is a fantastic value for the money. In my opinion out of the three brands I told you about Dexter has the best steel for getting a great edge and holding it. The other two are great as well but the meat cutters almost always used Dexter.

Back
Top Bottom