Need a little help with a hen being targeted by the flock

mrsdelore

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2015
Upstate, NY
I just got back from being away for a week and walked into a mess. I had a hen I discovered right before I left that seemed to have been suffering from in impacted crop. Not wanting to surgically empty her crop before going out of town, I massaged the heck out of it for the few days before I left and honestly expected her to probably die while I was gone and my husband was taking care of things.

Came back amazed that she was still alive - and it seems like maybe her crop is back in working order. BUT she is very skinny and weak. I don't know that the flock was letting her eat properly and at night she was off hiding somewhere because my husband never counted her in the coop but found her waiting in the run every morning.

Now the problem - the flock seems intent on killing her. I'm keeping her segregated for the most part as I assess if her crop is actually working and trying to give her time to get some food in her and get stronger. But any time the other hens are near her, they just attack her as a group. She is totally submissive and even squats when they come at her. I'm afraid to let it go on thinking they are going to kill her!

Should I just let them fight it out? Seems cruel to let them gang up on her when she is weak, but I'm afraid keeping her separate is also causing pecking order problems. First time in four years of chickens that I've encountered this problem. Any thoughts of what I should do?

In this instance because of her weakness, I would not attempt to reintegrate her until she was in good health and has regained her strength. Then I would try gradually integrating the gentlest birds to her one at a time over a period of time.

I'm thinking I may set up the wire dog crate (no plastic bottom) out in the yard under a big shady tree for her. This is the same thing I've done with birds that have had some leg injuries. And I'll move her to a smaller crate in the coop at night. Hopefully this works.

Definitely give her time to get her strength and health back before re-integrating her. It could take a while. sourland's advice is excellent about integrating her slowly, with the lower ranking birds being the first to join her.

I think keeping her apart from the flock during the day might be a good idea in this case, because hopefully it will relieve some of her stress and allow her to heal more quickly. But if she is acting really lonely then maybe rethink it and keep the crate in or near the coop in the daytime.

Definitely give her time to get her strength and health back before re-integrating her. It could take a while. sourland's advice is excellent about integrating her slowly, with the lower ranking birds being the first to join her.

I think keeping her apart from the flock during the day might be a good idea in this case, because hopefully it will relieve some of her stress and allow her to heal more quickly. But if she is acting really lonely then maybe rethink it and keep the crate in or near the coop in the daytime.

She is definitely lonely. She does this sad little cluck all the time and follows me if I'm outside. Poor thing. No fun being ostracized! She's in the crate now under the tree and the flock is out around her. She seems ok with that and they seem ok with her in the crate.

She is definitely lonely. She does this sad little cluck all the time and follows me if I'm outside. Poor thing. No fun being ostracized! She's in the crate now under the tree and the flock is out around her. She seems ok with that and they seem ok with her in the crate.
Then it might be better to keep her near them but she needs to have shade available at all times. Also, that usually make re-integration easier because if a bird is away from the flock for too long the flock will forget that bird and it will have to start over from scratch as far as familiarity and pecking order go.

It seems to me that this picking on her may have been the problem to start with. If they were keeping her away from the food, she may have been eating anything she could find, thus incurring the crop issue. Could it be possible to make another set up for her and one or two of the gentler birds? Rehomeing might be a kind solution for her also, if you can find the right situation. Good luck.

I did not witness any issues before I left in terms of her being bullied. I'm thinking they started pushing her out while I was gone and hubby was at work all day and not around to observe. She took to hiding under the ramp into the coop and when he couldn't find her at night when he locked them up, he just left her outside. I think that was the tipping point - because we all know it's move your feet, lose your seat when it comes to roosting at night.

I will keep her with the flock but within the safety of the wire crate for a few days and re-assess from there.

She might be sick and dying. Sometimes the flock will sense this and drive a bird away.

If she does not perk up very quickly. I think I would cull her. Always solve for the peace of the flock. Being on the attack is stressful too. There is a reason they are relentlessly attacking her, not just being mean.

Mrs K

Just an update. Chick Chick is gaining strength every day, but has not yet regained her place in the flock. I would say that 97% of the flock is indifferent - it's really just 2 birds (that are fairly low in the pecking order) that start up with her. And then my male duck gets involved for some reason. Ugh!
Anyway, for the most part, she hangs out in the coop out of the way of the two that go after her. If it gets bad, she has carved out a hiding spot for herself under the ramp that leads into the coop. She seems happy as a clam under there - and will come out to me if I call her.
I make sure she gets to eat at least 3 times a day and spends time with hens that are tolerant of her. I'm hoping another week or two and all will be back to normal.
Here she is today hanging out in the coop!
chick chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom