Need advice hen eats some of 2nd soft shelled egg

CluckCluckChoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
California
So my Brahma who is about 8 months old laid her first egg the other day and it was soft shelled. It had splattered outside the nest box so we cleaned it up and I wasn't too worried because I had read here that funky first eggs can happen. But this morning right after we fed them she started letting the world know she felt an egg coming on. So she got up along the nest boxes pacing and at some point she had what I'd call egg diarrhea, another soft shelled egg came out and surprised her I think because it happened while she was still pacing. My mom noticed it first because our hen had turned around and started eating a bit of it. My mom shooed her off and covered up some of it. What I'm worried about is, will she continue doing this when the egg comes out in its normal hard shell? Should I be worried that she'll develop an egg eating habit? Or will the solid shelled egg seem different and she won't put 2 and 2 together and realize what it is.

My hens have not ever had a first egg soft shelled but they were eating layer food later when they free range and the calcium level goes down a soft egg sometimes appears and then they are fed oyster shell. My method for egg eaters is to blow out an egg and fill it with epoxy they learn it hurts to peck them.

Feeding them layers pellets and keeping oyster shell available to them all the time will reduce the number of soft and broken eggs

Thanks that's a relief to hear. We have another hen who just started laying two weeks ago and her eggs have been just perfect so it leaves me thinking my brahmas system just isn't used to it yet. I'll have to look into getting some oyster shells though. And the epoxy idea is great too!

Back
Top Bottom